1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Historical Miniature #42

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Pete_H, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Pete_H New Member

I agree with you, Gray. I just took a quick look at it. I think Carson Van Osten's article will prove to be helpful for anybody thinking of doing their first conversion ever. However, I haven't read the article in it's entirety yet. But believe it or not, right now I think the best part is the MailBag. I highly recommend reading Russ Fisher's letter to the editor.
  2. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Thanks Gray,

I'm pretty shocked, amazed,honored and very surprised.

I would have put the Africanus on the Cover. That is the only piece that I have a phot of directly above my workbench and it (and Greg) have inspired me since I entered the hobby.

Lou
  3. John Long Active Member

United-States
    That's two covers for you isn't it Lou? Great job! (y)
  4. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    John, Yep. And it comes as a major surprise.

It is a great issue-I've always loved David Lane's work and I was really happy to read an article on how he does it. Greg's is superb without saying-I read something similar in the 1993 World Expo Program that he did and the Africanus piece is one of my all time favorite figures. It was at the first figure show I ever went to.

The Chicago show report was excellent and I really loved Russ Fischer's (sp?) letter to the editor. Very eloquently done and very true. I like the term "show season" too!

I'm very proud to have my piece on the cover of such a great amagzine and even better issue!

Thanks
    Lou
  5. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Is The figure by david lane the mounted Hussar that featured in a recent Military Modelling.

Robin
  6. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Yes it is. It's a great 4-5 page step by step with photos. One of the best I've ever read.
  7. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hmm, figure is nice but I think the braid work on the front of the shako, lovely figure for a very small insignificant point.

Regards

Robin
  8. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Robin,

What about the braid? I think it is slightly largish for the rest of the Shako, but as I am neither sculptor nor historian, I could be mistaken. Is that what you mean?

To me it's not enough to ruin and otherwise perfect sculpt and paintwork. I think David's figures are very elegant, clean, beautifully painted, bright and unique-easily identifiable style. He's extremely talented in my view.

Lou