1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Historic Art Viking

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Andrew Craft, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Hi all,
    Here is the latest WIP it's the 70mm Viking from Historic Art. I have tried to use earthy colours for this one, still a lot of weathering to do yet and some bits and pieces to tidy up. I've also tried to add more contrast to this one than the last figure I did.
    It's not as bright as the photos, the light I took pics under was very bright one day I'll figure the photography thing out. All comments and critique are welcome as always.

Andrew.

Attached Files:

Steve, Mike Stevens, kaz6120 and 8 others like this.
  2. Joseph Brubaker New Member

United-States
    Love the colors cant wait to see finished,thanks for posting............Joseph
    avuo likes this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks a great start Andrew.
    Carl.
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work Andrew (y)
  5. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    That is a great start! I'll be watching this one.
  6. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks for the comments guys.

Here is today's update did a bit more work on the shadows and weathering and started on the shield pattern.
    Feel free to comment or critique.

Andrew.

Attached Files:

billyturnip likes this.
  7. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Love the shield design Andrew, excellent work on the rest too.
    Carl.
  8. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent work Andrew and great shield pattern!

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  9. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great figure and it looks like your off to a great start mate.
  10. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    lovely choice of colours Andrew and excellent shield design.

Roger.
  11. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks guys.

On the home stretch now, a few things left to work on but I think I'm close to done. Let me know if I've missed something. I've got more work to do on his arms, sword and the boat. Apart from that he's just about complete.
    Feel free to comment or critique and thanks for looking.

Andrew.

Attached Files:

12. Reccymech New Member

Australia
    I reckon it's a great job, colours to my way of thinking are just right. How long you been at this caper Andrew?

I notice your from NSW, I'm over in the West, err...just a question about where do you get your figures from? I'm just started into figures and sourcing from overseas.
  13. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks Mark.
    I've been painting miniatures for just over a year now. I'm still trying a lot of techniques and styles out but having fun learning. I buy most all of my figures from overseas too. If your in or near Perth Tony Dawe, Ben Flood (Figurelover) and Scott Murray (khorgor) to name a few guys might be able to tell you where they get their figures from. I think they have a nice club too and a good show WASMEX that comes up later in the year that should have some trade stalls, hopefully I'll get over for it one year too.

Andrew
  14. Reccymech New Member

Australia
    You wouldn't happen to have details of the club would you, or maybe the guys could contact me with the details.

Have to keep an eye out for WASMEX, catch ya there.
  15. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Not sure mate you could try sending Tony a private message
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Andrew, firstly, the shield is looking awesome mate. I really like the colours you've chosen too. I'm following your progress with interest.

Secondly, thanks for the plug for WASMEx.

Mark, by all means send me a Private Message on Planet Figure, or give me a call on my mobile 0405 989 743.

You'd be most welcome to join the Historical Figure Modelling Society of WA. We meet once a month throughout the year on the first Tuesday night of each month in Noranda.

WASMEx is the Western Australian Scale Model Expo, our premier annual modelling showcase. It will be held at the Canning Exhibition Centre in Cannington on September 10 & 11 2011. I hope you can make it.
  17. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks for the comments Tony glad you like it, it's been a pleasure to paint this one. Im not too sure where to go with it now. Hopefully Mark makes contact with you regarding the club.

Andrew
  18. Mark S Guest

Love it Andrew.
    As you say I can see more work on the arms, sword and boat but it's looking good.
    A great sculpt like this is always alot of fun and a privilege to work on don't you reckon.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the completed piece Andrew.
  19. thrax Member

United-States
    nice natural muted tones. did you freehand the shield? i love the job