1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Historex

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by bricks tattoo, Apr 19, 2019.

1. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    My main gripe with Historex was that the hands never gripped anything and were devilishly difficult to remodel. Hornet to the rescue!
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I've never built - or even owned - a Historex kit in my life!

I did most of the Airfix Collectors Series though back when I was a lad.

- Steve
  3. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    I think that we should declare a national Historex Day and get everyone on this site to tackle one of their figures! Lots of fun to be had and a great figure at the end. Difficult to do one in a day though... a foot figure should be doable though.
  4. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    I think that it was great to have everything as spare parts to order what you needed and their old catalogue is still excellent as a horse painting guide.
    Cheers
    John
  5. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    I think this is a great idea. It should encourage more figure modellers to tackle figure conversions. Not sure that I can tackle a decent conversion in 1 day though. A few days is more realistic for me. We could start a thread just focused on figure conversions, presumably based largely on Historex and Airfix but not excluding other makes.
  6. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Anybody else ever sign up to the original Historex newsletter ? The translations were hilarious - my favourite was always the
    sign off 'Good-bye for the news all in all' it used to say. Great stuff...

Mike
  7. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    I remember this! Typical of someone attempting a word-for-word translation without knowledge of colloquial expression. Always wondered why such a renowned company didn't invest in a professional translator. On the other hand, who are we to criticise, given the known general lack of foreign language expertise amongst our population. Imagine a similar effort to translate English into French. The mind boggles.
  8. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom

Oui, c'est ca !
  9. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Comportement typique anglais, n'est ce pas ?
  10. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Absoluement, plus ca change, n'est-ce pas?
  11. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  12. theopaone Member

United-States
    I remember driving down from Wisconsin and seeing the figures in the Squadron shop and wondering if I ever could paint that well. Even if I didn't buy anything, the trip was worth it.
    KenBoyle likes this.
  13. stevee317 Member

United-States
    I was hooked on Historex when I saw my first catalog. The photos of all the masterworks at the time. The kits sometimes came with a small flyer announcing the next Historex competitons in France, and a form to send in if you were missing a piece from your kit. They are my passion still today. Check out Historex Spare Parts Madness on this site. So Iam all for a Historex project for others of like mind.
    grenadier likes this.
  14. bricks tattoo Well-Known Member

I always have at least 5 Historex projects in line , and currently working on a pretty big diorama to house all of them. I am also hooked.
  15. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    I remember owning several of the Historex catalogues from the 1970s, with that beautiful Ray Lamb figure artwork on the covers. They were worth buying for that alone.
    The hints & tips for conversion etc. inside were also handy, & I still keep photocopies of those pages. Beautiful kits, & Historex Agents were (& still are) extremely nice & generous people to deal with.
    bricks tattoo and Jed like this.
  16. Jed Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I didn't start with Historex but I did build some,I was really surprised at my first one as I seem to remember the moustache was separate!!
    Chris Oldfield and bricks tattoo like this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys

Yes I bought Historex , made a total hash of them , but it's great seeing these here and all the comments ...memories

Historex are still well respected of course and loved !!.....

I remember the fantastic catalogues with colour pics on cover and inside by modellers like Max Longhurst

Here's a suggestion why doesn't someone have a "group" build using any Historex in V Bench .....be great to see what is done

Nap
    bricks tattoo and Jed like this.