1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Historex Nemrod BH35 Mariscal Jean-Baptiste Bessières 1/15

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Graham, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Graham A Fixture

England
    Thought I would have a go at this little 1/15 scale bust. For its size this is quite nicely cast and I wanted an acrylic project to fill in the days between waiting for the oils to dry on my Prospector oil project.

E61A13BC-02A6-4462-9E40-9385DD784FD1.jpeg

The bust is in two parts, the torso with head and the rather impressive hat. Again, for its size quite a nice bust. Here it is primed with Tamiya grey
    1ADB9333-FBF7-423C-BA48-2762E8D298FD.jpeg

I started off ok with my artist acrylics but to be honest I lost my way with this one. For some reason I get very mixed results with the tube acrylics and am starting to regret throwing out my collection of acrylics from Vallejo etc.

I do like painting with oils and I can see the very distinct advantages but I just don’t have the patience to wait for days between each session before I can carry on although I do think oils is the way to go for faces.

So this is what has happened and it’s not good so I will be putting it in the stripper bath later and brace myself for the cost of buying some hobby acrylics, this is going to hurt lol.

6C2BA06E-D248-4517-9986-CCDC37D55D73.jpeg

There must be 20 very thin coats of that green on his tunic but it still isn’t covering and the face is terrible. Never mind, onwards and upwards.......
  2. Graham A Fixture

England
    Well, he has been stripped, cleaned and re primed before blocking in with what few hobby acrylics I still had laying around, Tamiya, Lifecolor and Revell. Might, only might, look at finishing the torso with oil. The face will be oil this time, best get that stripper bath ready :ROFLMAO:

004FF758-F6A1-4F79-BACA-8F8713E11707.jpeg
    Nap, Tonton, KenBoyle and 2 others like this.
  3. Graham A Fixture

England
    Well, it has been fun to do some amateurish paint slapping but I have finished this one apart from going back to sort out the eyes when the oils on the face have dried.
    912D5C9D-3242-4615-99C9-C7C7D3D90A62.jpeg C5C64F1C-2052-44D3-B997-9BB844E8F13C.jpeg CAFC2514-B5F4-4BF6-81F9-D46CC30AA0AE.jpeg
    69A2E81A-C69E-4CDF-8B5B-0131D71A46A5.jpeg
    arj and Old Pete like this.
  4. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Hi Graham
    Some nice work there. I use oils for flesh and have recently been experimenting with Terabine Dryers, which is designed for the decorator trade and used in oil-based paints to assist drying in cold or damp conditions. I have only been using a spot in each mix but it seems to work, speeding up the drying process considerably. It doesn't affect the colours or blending. You can get it at good decorating suppliers and it's cheap. Another useful product is Acrylic Brush Cleaner/Thinner for decorators. It is brilliant for getting the roots of your brushes clear of dried paint, and I also use it as a thinner, again just spots. Hope this is useful

Phil
    Graham likes this.
  5. Graham A Fixture

England
    Thank you Phil. Very useful information, thanks a lot for sharing it (y)
    Airkid likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Graham

As Phil say .....sone nice work there , good on you for this , like the cords on top the rosette , epaulettes look okay as well ,
    The sash highs are getting there , this is a small scale bust so well done

Look forward to the next

Happy bench-time

Nap
    Graham likes this.
  7. Graham A Fixture

England
    Cheers Nap. Yes these 1/15 are small but they are fun to do (apart from the eyes) and it doesn’t look too bad from about 6 feet away:rolleyes:. Got one more Historex bust left, I think both of them were from you, but I have had to do a bit of work on it as the sides of the face, neck to ears, are not moulded well so I have done my first corrective sculpting putty work today :D
    Nap likes this.
  8. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nicely painted Graham.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Graham likes this.
  9. Graham A Fixture

England
    Thanks Andrew, one day I hope to get half as good as you guys on here.
  10. Nap Moderator

England

Look forward to that one Graham , nice one getting the putty out

Happy benchtime

Nap