1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Historex Model Kit Sheet

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Auggie, Jun 22, 2021.

1. Auggie Active Member

Canada
    Hello fellas,
    I have been away for some time. I truly hope that everyone is well and healthy.
    I am in search of a Historex figure kit sheet. One of those b/w illustrated sheets showing the uniforms with descriptions, etc. The one that I need is for kit # GC805, Hussard de Silesie 1815. A scan or pdf would be super.
    Thanks!
    Let's stay well and healthy and keep on creating those superb figures.
    John
  2. Plastic Max Active Member

England
    Hi John, here's the reference sheet for GC805... also one for the original issue of the kit as Hi.9 in the "HIST COLLECTION" (containing the same parts, with assembly sketches, in a colour box). 805 p1.jpg 805 p2.jpg Hi.9 p1.jpg Hi.9 p2.jpg Hi.9 Prussian 1st Silesian Hussar 1815 Soldier - parts.JPG Historex 1st Silesian Hussar 1815 (HIST COLLECTION).jpg
    Nap, blaster, Billy Dickinson and 5 others like this.
  3. Auggie Active Member

Canada
    Hey thanks "Plastic Max"! I really appreciate this.
    Do you collect history kits?
    I have a ton of them, except for the background sheets on this Hussar.
    Thanks again.
    Stay well!
    John
  4. Plastic Max Active Member

England
    You're welcome John, I already had saved scans of those reference sheets, some time back I'd started to archive a collection of them... over the years I seem to have accumulated almost a full set, with a few exceptions (which I'm still hoping to find sometime)... also a library of digital photographs of many kits (parts and/or packets) from my collection... I've never owned a Silesian Hussar in the colour box (mine was unboxed), that picture was saved from somebody's Ebay auction. Perhaps I'll even get around to assembling and painting some of these Historex kits again too... I wonder how many people on PlanetFigure still build them...?
    Billy Dickinson likes this.
  5. Auggie Active Member

Canada
    Ha! Funny enough, I still build them. I have an RHA diorama in the works right now. It is posted somewhere here. Maybe look up Auggie posts?
    I love Historex. Have been collecting and building for over 40 years now.
    I have a huge collection of kits, including the green box sets, Nemrod vignettes, every horse body part and EVERY spare part made!
    Need anything?
    As we all come to the inevitable conclusion, ... so many kits, ... so very little time. Send me a pm if you want something.
    Thanks again, I might call on you for a sheet or two that somehow went missing.
    Cheers!
    John
    blaster likes this.
  6. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

I still make them too, with my trusty old Pyro. They're a nostalgia trip that can still look good against today's 54mm figures, and are NOT for kids! The horses are a little thin, but you can give them a broader chest with some sprue, and still offer you the chance to experiment and animate at a relatively low cost. Takes me back to "Modelling" and not just painting. Ray
    blaster and OldTaff like this.
  7. Plastic Max Active Member

England
    Hey John, I'll take a look at your RHA diorama, it'll be interesting to see. I have an officer tucked away, with a conversion in mind to an officer of the 5th Battalion, 60th Foot, just a different head, swap the legs, and add the shoulder wings should about do it. So easy with Historex, all the parts being interchangeable, such an awesome design concept, almost 60 years since the first kits in the range were introduced.

I seem to remember thinking the Tarleton was a little large, quite a loose fit on the head (though the same could be said for various other Historex helmets and shakos?) and that recent David Grieve RHA 1/9th scale bust shows it to be somewhat tight (https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/david-grieve-is-back-rha-bust.312820/#post-1136572). Conversely, with the Silesian Hussar, the head (#151) is rather huge (and with a cartoon Poirot moustache!) - the shako didn't fit on well - I replaced it with a different head (#256) which looked more to scale and a better match for the shako.

Great to hear that you've been collecting and building for over 40 years. It seems longer than that since I completed and painted any (in 1981 I was in college, so there were other priorities and pursuits...). I'd joined the local BMSS branch (junior member) as a young teenager in about 1973/1974... then a resurgence of interest as therapy during recovery and convalescence after a serious motorcycle accident... and dabbled again on and off for a few years around 1985 onward. Thinking there'll be more free time in the near future, I've been stockpiling vintage kits and parts. Somewhere in storage are my modelling tools, brushes and paints (probably all dried up?), and the old Pyrogravure (thanks for that reminder Ray!).

A similar story to many here I'd guess. In the meantime, joining this forum quite recently has stoked the interest in the hobby, so good to make contact with other Historex enthusiasts... John, Ray, me... surely there's more than just the three of of us?

Mark
    (aka Max to seem cooler than I really was/am... Plastic as I'd only ever knowingly painted one metal figure... plastic macs, who has them any more, isn't it all cagoules nowadays?).
  8. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

The only people who wore Plastic Macs in my youth were old ladies, and flashers !! Was your Pyro a Historex one? Mine is an old French one which I had to convert to UK voltages and plug. The historex one had a much finer tip, and was easier to hold in the hand than mine. The one I have now does have the advantage of making all my horse joints virtually seamless due to a bigger tip. I started in 1973 with metal figures but then "discovered" Historex. Ray
  9. Plastic Max Active Member

England
    Ray, I did have a plastic mac, rolled up in my school briefcase... but never wore it, nor the school cap... flashing while still a minor, in uniform, might have got me into even more trouble with the school. And it wasn't co-ed until the 6th form. My pyrogravure was the Historex , the second version, lighter weight and pointy stylus (it wasn't running quite hot enough last time it was used many years ago, so may need to be repaired/replaced). Which brand do you have now? I'd noticed some units by Lenk in the USA (which would need a voltage converter transformer for the UK, as will my Dremel and engraver), and see a lot of different options, some with variable temperature control, e.g. at amazon.co.uk if/when the time comes. Mark
  10. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Mine is very old and the company closed down years ago!! The only other Pyros I've seen around, are mainly for wood, and tend to be far too big for what we'd use them for. As casting has got better, the need for a Pyro has diminished so much Historex dropped the product years ago, and mine has detachable heads so I converted one to a needle, (which is how I found they'd gone out of business years ago). It works fine, but it's more like a Soldering Iron in the hand, not as comfortable as the historex one. Best of luck finding one, and, if you should find a good one, let me know. Ray. p.s. this is the best Historex conversion I've seen. A Diorama of James 2nd. leaving England. It was done by Bill Lascombe Screenshot_2020-09-10 Various Artists Older Work — Box Dioramas com(1).jpg
    blaster likes this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi John

What a result from everyone ...what PF is all about

Great to have yiu back with us , I remember seeing so many great conversions on the Historex catalogues ...still got them ....great to look through

Look forward to seeing your updates ...the RHA thread is here https://www.planetfigure.com/posts/1051132/

Anything I can do just ask

Happy benchtime

Nap
  12. Auggie Active Member

Canada
    Hi Nap, Great to hear from you!
    Isn't it wonderful! I love keeping in touch with fellow modellers from around the world.
    I am just now getting back to the RHA diorama. The British gun team, horses, riders etc are complete. Now onto the French.
    I was going to take some photos this weekend of the progress. As usual I sure could use your help posting them.
    All ok with you and your family in the UK?
    Here still mass confusion about how and where to get our second shots. Our gov't has let us down, again.
    Until later on, thanks!
    Stay well,
    John
    Nap likes this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England

No probs ref pics always happy to help...you certainly seem to hav cracked on with the RHA

All's well here ...despite numbers apparently going up !

Look forward to seeing your posts

Happy benchtime

Nap
  14. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Hi All,

A Historex thread will always draw me. I love tales about the bad old days.

When Historex stopped selling their pyrogravure pen, I searched around and found the company that sold them directly. Adamin.
    https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235015130-pyrogravure-anyone/

I bought 2 pens from them and it was priced reasonably with shipping costs. Works fantastically well. Unfortunately, I think the company has closed down.

Rgds Victor

aa2.jpg aa3.jpg
  15. Alex_D New Member

Hi folks,

Mark - Thanks for sharing the instruction sheet and the parts inventory photo for the Silesian Hussar. I have saved that to my files for a later project (as a side note I’m super envious of your instruction collection! Would absolutely love that…)

I’m actually working on a Historex project at the moment borne from a few left over parts. I need a bit of help identifying what I need to complete the figure so I thought to ask here - I hope that’s ok.

I’m trying to put together a trumpeter of the 1st Regiment of Scout Grenadiers (Old Guard).

I’ve started to put together another order to the good folks in Dover as per the table below (I already have the saddlery, horse furniture and legs in case you’re wondering why they’re not listed).

I have the instructions and prints for the chap I want to create but I’m still learning the nuances of the various Historex kit pieces so I’m not 100% certain of whether I’m ordering the right parts. The parts highlighted in yellow are the parts I’m not sure about - Namely:

Head - Not sure what’s going on under the pelisse but I assume open collar? (I will undoubtedly replace the head with a resin one so I’m mostly interested in the collar)

Trumpet - Is that the right one?

Pelisse cuffs - Are these supplies with PD226?

Sabretache - Is that the right one?

Eagle for sabertache - Any ideas what part number this could be?

Thanks for reading and any comments and feedback greatly appreciated!

Cheers,

Alex

[IMG]

[IMG]
  16. Plastic Max Active Member

England
    Hey Alex,

Here's a couple of files from my reference archive which might be useful to you - a parts content list for the usual mounted trumpeter kit, and a parts photo of a trumpeter figure on foot - and in answer to your questions - head #124, trumpet #16, pelisse cuffs are supplied with the torso #222, sabretache #226, eagle is on sprue #142.

712 Guard Scout - 1st Regt (Grenadier) 1813-1814
    Trumpeter (Old Guard)

Headdress: Conical shako #6
    Head: Plain, open collar #124
    Torso: Pelisse, worn on body #222
    Arms (pair): Right holding trumpet, left holding reins #29
    Legs (rider): Cavalry overalls with buttons #174
    Insignia: Guard Scout #386
    Uniform detail: Eagle for shako #376
    Uniform detail: 6 turnback eagles #142
    Equipment: Cavalry pouch, straight flap #53
    Equipment: Plain sabretache #226
    Weaponry: Light cavalry sabre, 3 branch hilt guard #72
    Weaponry: Pistols (pair) #183
    Instrument: Small trumpet, with tassels #16
    Saddle: French saddle, with blanket #383
    Stirrups & bits: Oval stirrups, curved bits #103
    Saddle bags: Rolled blanket (for front of saddle) #384
    Saddle bags: Round valise #104
    Horse parts: Head, mane, tail, forelock, ears #
    Horse parts: Body half - left #
    Horse parts: Body half - right #
    Base: White base, 75mm x 23mm (mounted figure) #599
    Miscellaneous: Ribbon for belts -
    Miscellaneous: Reference sheets -
    Miscellaneous: Colour card -

712 Guard Scout 1st Regt (Grenadier) 1813-1814 Trumpeter [on foot] parts.JPG
    Alex_D likes this.
  17. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Oh wow! HISTOREXPEDIA! Hahaha I’m impressed. Rgds Victor
    Alex_D likes this.
  18. Alex_D New Member

Thanks so much Mark - That’s amazing!

Given the esoteric nature of the subject matter I thought it might’ve been a long shot but clearly your archives are deep! Thanks again mate.

Hmm, looking at your photo the one thing I didn’t account for was the chain for the shako but I’m sure I can source/scratch a substitute somehow…

Alex