1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Historex General d'Ornano Dragoon

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by pgarri27, Jan 2, 2015.

1. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    I started this figure almost a year ago. Due to personal issues, it and all other figures were put aside. I have recently started work on the general again. It is still a work in progress. He is done in mostly all acrylics, but some of the metalics are printers ink. The horse is done in oils. I find I do not like chestnut horses. Bays are easier.
    His pants still need highlights and shadows.
    I think the lace on his collar is going to be difficult as it is not molded on.
    Anyone have suggestions for painting boots?
    Please provide critizism as I would like to improve this guy before I call it finished.

ornano.jpg
  2. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nice work. Strange horse at the front.

Marc
  4. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm glad to see there still are Historex fans out there. Do you have Bill Ottinger's book on doing them? It really is essential in working with Historex. Keep up the good work.
  5. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pleasing to see Historex kits being still being made, learnt so much building and converting these! Your doing a great job with this.

-Rich
  6. Huw63 A Fixture

Very nice work with a much loved medium of mine.

One suggestion for future is to reduce the waist where the two halves of the legs meet by 1 or 2 mm as it gives a better feel of the rider sitting in rather than on the saddle.

I see Megaroot's point about the bottom of the horse's the neck is a little too far forward. Study some horses and I'm sure you'll understand. My wife and daughters are horse people and we've got an Arabian gelding so sometimes I go with them just to look at horses and what hooves look like, how they stand, eat etc,. If you can visit a stable well worth a visit with a camera,

Finally I agree with Jaybo Bill Ottinger's book is invaluable.

Cheers

Huw
  7. Huw63 A Fixture

Painting boots- forgot about that one. I undercoat the boot legs in Matt black and the foot in dark blue for parade or earth for campaign/ dusty look then use a black oil paint.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Huw
  8. Chris Mortimer Active Member

New_Zealand
    Nice work mate. I must look into getting some Historic models, they look very good.
  9. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Lovely job on a worthy subject. Historex is still one of my favorite figure offerings. I'm glad I have the kits and spares that I do have, but wish I had more!
  10. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nicely painted. I like the horse colour.
    Cheers
    Mst
  11. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Chris M., Historex are wonderful kits BUT ALOT of work. They are NOT prime and paint pieces. But that is the special aspect of them. You can create a unique work that not many if anyone has done before. You can be creative. History will be your guide (along with Detaille, Messionier, Vernet, JOB, Charlet, etc.) Ottinger's book is a must imo. Have fun!
  12. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys. I have a lot of Historex projects in the works. Hope to get some done this year.
    Huw63 likes this.
  13. Huw63 A Fixture

You are not alone - I've a ton to build if I ever get the time!

Enjoy and have loads of fun

Cheers

Huw
  14. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here he is a little farther along. Still need to detail his medals, add bit and reins. What else should I do to him?
    ornano.jpg
    Mat Lambert and billyturnip like this.
  15. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks really well.
    I am doing trompette dragons de la garde from a historex, love 'em to bits, well done.
    The mane stands out as a great bit of work to me
    Salut M'sieur
    Paul
  16. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Paul. I make all my manes from green stuff, not being happy with the stock ones that come with the kit. I roll fine lines of putty, then lay them in along the neck, then use a scribe or xacto knife to add grooves and Fluff them up.
    Hope you will post sbs of your Historex project. I love to see them come"alive" as the builder puts their personal touch into the figure. That's why I love to see new posts by Ivo. Not exactly Historex, but full of ideas and inspiration for us Historex guys.
    Jaybo likes this.
  17. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Hi, I'm an old Historex hand too, love 'em to bits (and there are always lots of bits). My personal criticism of Historex kits was always their hands: too slender and feminine and never moulded to easily grip anything, especially reins. You can hack them about of course or scratchbuild, but I generally replace mine with hands from Hornet which I think look more realistic. Gauntlet cuffs are also a bit odd, so I replace them too, using metal sheet scavenged from an old tomato puree tube (cut it open and flatten it out, works a treat and free!!). Have a think along these lines about your figure's left hand and how the reins will fit. Great work so far, look forward to the finished product!
    pgarri27 and peedee like this.
  18. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mat Lambert, pgarri27 and Jaybo like this.
  19. Richard Baxter A Fixture

Scotland
    Thanks Peedee...I like your style!