1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hipatia

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Edorta, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
    Women, by Pepa Saavedra WOM00006 - Hipatia
    Sculpture: Pedro Fernández
    Painting: Pepa Saavedra
    Material: Resin
    Number of parts of the kit: 2
    Scale: 1/10

mail-12.jpg mail-13.jpg mail-14.jpg
  2. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Although not my thing....a superb sculpt....and that painting is stunning :wideyed:

Ron
  3. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    WOW! Very interesting sujet!

Some historical additions abaout this bust...:

Hypatia of Alexandria, born around 355 in Alexandria; murdered March 415 or March 416 in Alexandria, was a Greek late-antique mathematician, astronomer and philosopher ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Unfortunately, nothing has survived from her work.
    She became famous above all for her murder, whose mandate was given by the Christian prefect Cyril of Alexandria...

[IMG]

...who saw her as a "pagan" rival:

After one version she was dragged naked as an old woman through the streets of the city to death...

[IMG]

According to another version, Christians grabbed her on the street, abducted her to a church, stripped her naked, and tortured her with fragments of roof tiles to death.

(Or - even this reading allows for the second tradition - she was killed after a so-called "Ostracism" like Sokrates).

[IMG]

In any case, the "Christ" Kyrill later boasted that his initiative had "eradicated the last remnant of paganism" in Alexandria.

More such sujets of outstanding women in the Antique please!

Cheers
    OldTaff likes this.
  4. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    There was an interesting film starring Rachel Weisz a few years ago that dealt with her story and persecution by the Christians. They regarded her teachings as heretical, and did not think that such knowledge of astronomy, mathematics and philosophy, should even be possessed by a woman, let alone taught to students. Such is the history of religion over reason.

This an excellent piece of sculpting and painting.

Alan
    Edorta, Babelfish and Martin Rohmann like this.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    VEry impressive painting.
    I think I gonna look to it next weekend.

Marc
  6. Barrie Harris Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Love the bust , going to go well with Athena . Was wondering when we get another wonder .
    WOW indeed , look forward to getting mine.
    Another around winner.

Barrie(Newbee)
    Osebor likes this.
  7. Osebor PlanetFigure Supporter

Spain
    A must, I dare say...
  8. xeonfish New Member

Beautiful painting of a really nice bust of a very interesting subject. Love it!