1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Hihgland Clasman Veteran, Culloden, 1746

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Robert Ramirez, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Robert Ramirez Active Member

Spain
    Hello guys!

Start a new commissioned work. This is the great and mythical figure, R. G. Latorre modeled for Elite Miniatures. I'll try to make a PaP, of the paint of this figure. The work of tartan, of course, is the most difficult and complicated of the whole figure, but with good planning and documentation on that tartan paint, means nothing more than hours of painting.
    I hope you serve.

A couple of evocative images:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The MacLachlan Clan Tartan
    [IMG]

First Steps:
    About the masked figure not to stain the shirt, and it costs more work after the white cover.
    [IMG]
    I apply a base with the base color of tartan to brush, applying light and shadow with the airbrush, from above (lights) and bottom (shadow).
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Final result, after removing the masking.
    [IMG]
    Until next time
    Regards, Robert.
    Borek, Dan Morton, Kisifer and 5 others like this.
  2. Funky50 Guest

Hi Robert...will follow this closely I have struggled with this figure for a long time now....Kevin
  3. CBDesign Active Member

Germany
    Thank you for sharing..very interesting!
    Happy painting,
    Chris
  4. Robert Ramirez Active Member

Spain
  5. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  6. Robert Ramirez Active Member

Spain
    Thanks, Edorta!
    You did a good job in your figure.

Cheers
  7. Edward A Fixture

England
    Good start on one of the best sculpted figures ever. Will be following this.
    Robert Ramirez likes this.
  8. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    I will follow your work, allways great with you, and it will be nice to see this "old" figure/man painted by somebody else.
    Best regards.
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work.
    I'm follow this closely. Painting a figure with the airbrush is a great challenge.

Marc
  10. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    This will be interesting to follow, looking forward to seeing it progress.

Alex.
  11. Robert Ramirez Active Member

Spain
    Thank you very much for your comments.
    Marc. I use the airbrush only to delimit the lights / shadows of tartan, the rest will do to brush. It is a perfect tool and that saves a lot of time in this type of work.
    Cheers
  12. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    I love the tartan, but have always been afraid to attempt it because of the combination of black and yellow. I will be following closely. What yellow or yellow blend did you use for the base coat.
  13. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    No photos for me.:(
  14. Robert Ramirez Active Member

Spain
    Thanks.
    Clrsgt. For the base color of Tartan. I used, Sahara Yellow (Scale75 Color) + Yellow Green (Vallejo) + US Olica Drab (Vallejo).

Regards. Robert.
  15. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Thank you Robert. I will eagerly await your next post.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Look forward to this figure and SBS.
    I envy your ability to use an airbrush... I wish I could, as I struggle with the lighting on large vertical areas of drapery. You've shown here a great way to handle this situation. I should take the lesson to heart.

I will follow closely

Colin
  17. Robert Ramirez Active Member

Spain
    Thanks Colin!
    The airbrush, well used, no mysteries. You have to take the fear and practice on old figures to get control of this tool on the dilution of the paint.
    In general, the proper dilution, is similar to that of milk.

Regards, Robert.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. Robert Ramirez Active Member

Spain
    Hello!
    First steps on the Tartan.
    With the initial mixture, adding black, painting the pattern weith the first squares and intermediate stripes. Once painting the squares, lighting and shading are going to adapt to the modeling of Tartan.
    [IMG]

Rear.
    Trying to adapt to wrinkles modeling, the initial squares.
    [IMG]

Best regards, Robert.
    Borek and ChaosCossack like this.
  19. Robert Ramirez Active Member

Spain
    Hello!!
    One step more, I painted the dark squares (adding more black to the initial mixture), and refined some lines. Now I get the last yellow lines and retouch some light ........
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Regards, Robert.
    Tecumsea, Borek, Tonton and 8 others like this.
  20. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Robert
    Thank you for this great SBS. You make it look so easy that I may even attempt a tartan now;)
    Cheers
    Paul