1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Highwayman Bust, 1/10th scale conversion

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Feb 9, 2010.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I've finished sculpting the changes to this Young Miniatures Pirate bust with Super Sculpey Firm, and it's conversion to an English Highwayman is now complete. After sculpting, I gave the figure a light sanding and then washed it thoroughly with warm, soapy water and allowed it to dry overnight. Once dry, I sprayed on some Tamiya White Primer and a couple of hours later I started laying on the base colours.

I've started by roughly "blocking in" the major colours. This helps me see how the colours will harmonise (thanks Jay) and how the different textures go together. Apart from the face, there are no highlights or shadows added yet.

I know most painters tend to focus on painting one area at a time, but I tend to move from one area to another; highlighting here, shading there until I feel I have got the balance right. It's not a methodical approach, but it stops me getting bored and that keeps me motivated.

The red/ brown colour will be darkened to give the effect of dark brown leather through aseries of Burnt Umber oil washes. The grey cloak will be painted in a similar fashion to represent weathered oil skin using Black/ Gey oil washes. The black leather hat will also be distressed to look like old worn black leather.

The face has been painted in Vallejo acrylics, using Medium Flesh with a drop of Burnt Cadnium Red as the base colour. I've started adding highlights and shadows, but there's still much to do. The eyes have been roughed in and tonight I will add the pupils and detail the eyeballs.

As always I welcome any comments/ suggestions and constructive criticism.

Attached Files:

2. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looking good so far Tony.

Next up, you'll be doing Ned, Armour plate and all!

Looking forward to seeing the progress.

Cheers
  3. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Coming a long great Tony. Something a little different.
    Carl.
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Boy, Tony if this is what the bust looked like originally, I would have snatched one up as soon as it hit the LHS. Nice work.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Jamie. You must be a mind reader. I was actually thinking of doing Ned Kelly as a bust sculpt holding his armoured helmet in his arm.

Cheers Carl. Still early days but I like the way it's coming together.

Thanks Matthew. As I gain in confidence with my sculpting, I'm tempted to convert more stock figures into something unique and different. I'm glad you like him.
  6. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Music to my ears????

Hello Tony:

Heee heeee, cute. . . I guess I've talk about colour harmony a lot more that I
    thought, here on PF.

Isn't it interesting how by just adding a little colour here and there how this
    bust is really starting to come to life. It is a very interesting face for one
    thing, and I like your ideas about replicating leather in a variety of shades,
    deep browns, greys, black worn hat, et cetera. I love to paint an area that
    is to be leather. Lots of fun. :)

Will be eager to see more WIP on this one Tony. This is a very interesting
    conversion. Smart thinking.

Jayhawker
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice work sofar.
    Looking up to your next posting.

Marc
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Rick and Marc, I appreciate your comments.

I've finished painting the skin tones on the face.

Attached Files:

9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nead work Tony.
    Gonna do some neatpicking now: It looks (it good be the picture) that there is not so much shading done. I prefer more darker tone's under the eyebrow, and some more accent on the wrinkles. The eyes are perfect. Maybe you can soften the highlight on the right cheakbone. At looks to hard.
    But just my thoughts.

Marc
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks very much for your thoughts Marc. I agree with the right cheekbone and will fix it. I wanted a pale skin tone, without too much shading but I'll certainly take your comments on board.
  11. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The eyes of a desperate man, well done Tony.
    Carl.
  12. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Beautiful eyes and skin tones Tony

cheers

stefano
  13. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate didnt realise you had started to paint this one up already, you aint hanging around are you mate :)

Nice work on those eyes they really add a bit f tension to the face, i like what you are doing so far and will follow along.

Steve(y)
  14. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony great progress , like the skintones and it's only when you enlarge the pic that you can appreciate the detail work in the eyes. Excellent.(y)

Cheers Ken
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Carl, Stafano, Steve and Ken,

Looks like the eyes have it!!

More pics in a couple of days.
  16. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    those definitely have it, bought about by the wrinkles around them!

(The size of the pupils, and direction tell part of the expression, the play of muscles around the eyes tell the other part of the story.........look at botox ladies, and you'll see what I mean)

the highlights also add a 'spark'

Keep it up,

cheers
  17. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Great start, Tony.
    I'm looking forward to development of future's work.
    Good luck!

Mitsutaka
  18. red tom Active Member

United-Kingdom
    He's looking good so far mate. I really like the job you have done on him
    best wishes Tom
  19. tony66 Member

Australia
    Tony
    nice to see you getting away from foxtel for awhile.
    Looking great mate! I especially like the eyes
    Tony Del
  20. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Tony,
    Looking good so far and interesting change.
    Cheers
    John