1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Highlander

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Figure Mad, Feb 14, 2009.

1. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Great start Dave and a some nice little touches with the textures.

David
  2. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Dave this is looking very good mate. Show us some more please

Stephen Mallia
  3. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    A great start Dave, looking forward to your next step!

regards,
    Marcel.
  4. Einion Well-Known Member

Excellent work on the texture, looks ace. Can't wait to see the plaid finished.

I'm much the same, if I get a chance to do it I was thinking of sculpting a nettle or linen shirt which I think would improve the appearance.

Einion
  5. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    The Fall of Castle Erquhart 1296

Hi Guys

Here he is almost finished, . I have placed the figure on a grassy hill and he is based at the time of the British taking Erquhart (pronounced urcart) Castle near Loch Ness in 1296, before the Battle of Falkirk. Let me know what you think.

Dave

Attached Files:

6. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Dave, I really like this. Can't wait to see it in person. If you'll permit me, I'm not to keen on the colour of the groundwork(especially the grassy area). Just nitpicking buddy but I think it'll take your work even higher

Stephen Mallia
  7. Brent Fordham New Member

Canada
    Dave,

Absolutely beautiful work on this figure. I really like your painting style. To me, it almost looks like a photograph of a real person that is just slightly out of focus or grainy. Amazing.

I would sheepishly add a bit of constructive criticism on the groundwork. The grass looks like it's been freshly cut down and thrown on the ground (like someone's just mowed or swathed the area).

Anyways, marvelous work!
  8. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    lovely , very beautiful the tartan , can you post larger pics so we could enjoy better looking at your great work ?

Cheers

Stefano
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Dave, specially the Tartan.
    It is a great presentation and i think it is come close to a real highlander for that time.
    Unfortunally i find the base not helps the figure to stand out, infact if i see this i would do it without the base. In my opinon the course of that is the grass Knowing your skills you can do much better then that.
    So, why you do the base not over again or let the grass stands up. Beside, this long gras flat over the rocks????
    It's just my two cents.

Marc
  10. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

Thank you for your comments I have taken all on board and will adjust accordingly, as I am finishing the figure off before the weekend.

Dave
  11. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    I must admit, reading through the thread, being great to see the figure come to life.

Thanks for sharing,

cheers
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work Dave. I too think the groundwork could be improved and I'm looking forward to seeing how you deal with it.
  13. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Nice work Dave! I like the addition of the jerkin - and the texture you've added, though a bit difficult to see in the pics, looks great.

Jason
  14. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks a lot guys, its very much appreciated, I have a put a couple of better images up and a few more on my blog site

Dave

Attached Files:

15. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Fantastic work Dave on both painting and conversion work. The tartan looks just right nice and muted.

David
  16. Brent Fordham New Member

Canada
    Very good work!
  17. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Wow, this has come up beautifully. It's a different tartan than what we are used to seeing, more muted in colour. The extra additions that you have added are spot on and I think have made a more realistic representation of a highlander of that time period. The extra bit of ground work look tons better. Great work
    Ben
  18. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Hey Dave,
    Been away and hadn't caught up with this yet. Great job on the finished figure. I love the effect of the Falkirk Tartan. From the photos it looks like wool in texture. Excellent job on the leather too. All around a top notch finish.

Ben, while it looks awesome and is a testament to Dave's skills as both sculptor (for his shirt) and painting, highlanders in the 13thc. did not wear kilts. First description of kilts don't show up until the 16thc. Anything prior to that was described as a leine. A long tunic that went to the knees and belted. When artisticaly rendered later, this (the leine) along with quilted gambesons were mistakenly identified by Victorians (who tended to "fill in the blanks" a little too often) and Hollywood as kilts. Randall Wallace and Braveheart has done more to wipe out Scottish History than the English had ever hoped to.
  19. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    lovely work and great looking tartan.

Steve