1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Highlander

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Figure Mad, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

Just a little something I have been working on, Pegaso models 75mm Highlander with a little extra as I thought the bare chest in the highlands would be a little cold with a heavy frost (as I intend to try and show on the groundwork), So I added a leather jerkin (MS) and have given the Kilt/Cloak/Bedroll a textured surface with Spraymount glue and some matt white enamel. I still have lots of work to do on this so be gentle.

Over to you guys

Dave

Attached Files:

2. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    I think you 've done a very good start, this figure is absolutely a must have for me ... so I will follow your progress..

Cheers

Stefano
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Dave, looks a great figure to paint, like the groundwork, as a novice painter can you explain how Spraymount glue works , do you enamel first and the glue reacts, I'm learning something new everyday since joining.
    Cheers Ken
  4. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Dave
    Very nice start and idea, what type of tartan are you go with on the clothing, there did not seem to be a lot around at the period in time that this chap is from, I had a quick look round on the net but could not find much other than a few very basic designs.
    Tommi
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent work Dave. Looking forward to your next step.
  6. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Dave,
    Great idea and nice start.
    Cheers
    John
  7. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Nice work Dave. The jerkin was a good idea and looks good. I just wish Pegaso had kicked up the time period of this piece rather than label it as 13thc. 16thc. would have been better, at least they had kilts then. The metal work looks good, what technique did you use for that?
    Nice ground work too.
  8. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

Cheers for the comments on the conversion, now the tartan is gonna be hard no matter what, but having done a lot of research I have decided to go with a tartan based on the Falkirk Tartan, which is a small piece of Tartan Cloth found in the neck of a small vase full of silver and gold coins, found in Falkirk some time ago while excavating for a new building to be built. it is widely known to be the earliest tartan in existence, estimates put it around the 14th century, its basically a cream and brown, not a lot of colour I know, but very suitable, also not anything like the modern Falkirk Tartan.

Mike I hope thats close enough for the period, as it was the earliest I could find, I actually found pictures as well, its wasn’t an easy job finding them either.

Dave
  9. Djoubri M Well-Known Member

France
    Superb start...I'm eager to see the continuation

Mahmoud
  10. renarts Active Member

United-States
    The Falkirk Tartan, despite its muted colors, in my opinion is a very rich piece of fabric and a pretty complicated pattern to reproduce. I don't envy you that one. But I'm sure with your skill you'll do a great job. I look forward to your work.
  11. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Dave nice touch with the leather jerkin and that textured kilt.........waiting for the tartan :eek:

Ray ;)
  12. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

Here is a small image of the piece found at Falkirk, yes I know its still complicated and beautifully muted colours, but you have gotta give it a go if you want to get it right. I don’t plan on doing it in such a tight weave I want to make the pattern larger. The multi coloured version you see below it is the modern day Falkirk Tartan.

Hi Ray - Good to hear from you again, hows thing at home mate, hope you are painting......

Dave

Attached Files:

13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work Dave.
    I'm curiouw about how you manage that texture. Yes i read it, but can get my finger behind it.

Marc
  14. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Marc

Well the areas you want to be textured, leave bare metal, mask of everything else, warm the figure with a hair dryer for about a minute, then spray a VERY LIGHT COAT of 3M spraymount adhesive onto the areas while the figure is still warm. The glue will be almost dry instantly, but don’t touch it yet, let it dry for a couple of hours, then paint over the areas with a couple of light wash coats of matt white enamel or you can spray over with skull white, then leave to dry or use a hair dryer again, this must be light coats to allow the detail to show through. Allow to dry totally for a good few hours.

I hope this gives you another idea

Dave
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for explaining how you created the texture effect. It looks very realistic. Tartan is always a huge challenge for any painter but I'm sure you'll master it.
  16. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    You can also look here . It's the oldest tartan found still now from the Takla Makan Mummies, it is believed they may be celts..
    http://mathildasanthropologyblog.wordpress.com/2008/04/08/the-mummies-of-the-tarim-basin/

Stefano
  17. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Stefano

Thanks for that, I wanted to know more about this subject. I was really only trying to cover the Scottish Tartans, although they are not clan related, it really is only speculation from the historians point of view, but thanks again fro the link. I will use it at some point.

Dave
  18. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking very nice Dave i like your additions to the figure,very nicely done.

Steve
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    thanks Dave,
    gonna try it very soon.

Marc
  20. mario Active Member

Brazil
    Fantastic work Dave
    I have this figure and hope start it soon

Congratulations

Mario