1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Highlander officer

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by slaj, Nov 13, 2006.

1. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi guys. Wanted to show you what I've been working on lately. It's a highlander officer in Culloden. Still some cleaning up to do, basework and ready for painting. Hope you like it. Cheers

Stephen Mallia

Attached Files:

2. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    back

Attached Files:

3. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    detail

Attached Files:

4. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    He looks very good to me Stephen. I really like painting highlanders.. and I would love to give a try on this one. Is he one of a kind? Or a commercial piece?

Xenofon
  5. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Now that I'm thinking it again. If his pants will be painting in tartan... it will be difficult with that coat on...How will you tackle that?

Xenofon
  6. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Good work Stephen,his coat looks beautiful!
    best regards
    christos
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work Steven,

Like it alot. Good luck with the Tartan.

Marc
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Stephen - As always, masterful sculpting! ;) I think you may have set the painters a bit of a challenge with the coat covering the trousers. No idea how else you could have sculpted it however. Hmmm.

All the best,
    Dan
  9. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi Xenofon. I'm sorry but this one is a 'one of '. But I think it would be a greta subject for a commercial piece. As for the Tartan, I know it's going to be a tough job painting it. One thing that may help is the fact that the broadsword is removable. I can take the sword out for ease of painting and then attach it later. Yeah big consolation :lol: :lol:

Stephen Mallia
  10. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Christos thanks.

Marc thanks too. Yes I need some good luck with the Tartan :lol:

Stephen Mallia
  11. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Dan thanks. I'm afraid the only one with the painting challenge is me :(

Stephen Mallia
  12. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hi mate,

Great sculpting all along and as we've already discussed my ONLY quibble re size of the head (which IMHO looks a bit small when compared to the rest of figure especially in the first pic!) all there's left for me to tell you is......Good Luck with the tartan especially in between that dreaded but naturally sculpted cloak!!

Thank God I'm not painting this dude :angry:

Can't wait to see you trade putty for paint and scalpel for brush :lol:

Ray ;)
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looks great Stephen. Shame its a "One-off".
  14. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Wow. :eek:
    I really like the coat! It has the feel of heavy fabric and just the right amount of wrinkles.

Yeah, painting the tartan will be a challenge, but I'm sure you'll rise it. :)

Looking forward to seeing the progress as it is cleaned up and painted!

Wendy
  15. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Ciao Stephen, your sculpture is extremely well done, truly a beautiful piece, my compliments.

Keep up the great sculpting.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  16. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Very nice Stephen. I think you've really captured the look and attitude. How'd you go about the sword hilt. I struggled through one of these a while back. I'd like to hear how you did yours.
  17. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Ciao Stephen
    Anche questo è un buon lavoro
    mi piace la posizione ed anche il panneggio.
    Il cappotto in fotografia mi senbra un po spesso
    naturalmente capisco che non è facile mettere una sfoglia
    sottile con il rischio che si laceri ........ ma potresti provare
    ad assottigliare solo i bordi .... si ha cosi un ottimo effetto ottico.

Ciao e buon lavoro.

MAB ;)
  18. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Wendy thanks. I have to raise the bar for this tartan :lol:
  19. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Roc,my friend. Thanks. Hopefully you'll see this at the next MFCA

Stephen Mallia
  20. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Stephen - I think the painting "problem" with the coat isn't insurmountable. I wonder if there was any way to have avoided it. Maybe you could have made the figure in two halves, painting the interior bits, then assembling it. I dunno...maybe that would be more extra work than it's worth.

I had a self-inflicted wound with my recently completed two figure diorama. If you aren't familiar with it, the two figures are locked in a nose-to-nose struggle, the Frenchman just about lying on top of the German. I constructed each figure separately about 80%, paying more attention to their backs than their fronts. At some point I decided that the only way I knew to make sure they fit properly and looked right together was to join them up. Alas, this created a difficult predicament for a painter. Never saw it comin' Duh! :angry:

So now - I'm a little more sensitive to the needs of painters. Kinda.

All the best,
    Dan