1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Highlander Head Done

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Here are the head basically finished. I still need to touch up in a few spots that I saw on the pictures. The plad had me worried, I should have done this before I painted that face so I could have stripped it. Oh well, live and learn!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Damn, you're in high speed mode Anders. That looks good.
  3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wonderful work Anders! Keep'em comin'!
  4. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
  5. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    very very nice
  6. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Anders

As John said, you're fast!

I think it looks really good. My one comment would be the teeth; perhaps a little yellowing (19thC dental hygene here - didn't Alex Castro post something with some great looking teeth?). Also, the lining between the teeth looks too dark and stark to me, if you know what I mean.

Keep him coming!

Rob
  7. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Anders
    I think the skin tones look terrific
    and the eye detail really makes it work

even in the enlarged photos

Frank (y) (y) (y)
  8. Patrick Kirk New Member

Anders,
    Very nice! ;)
    You might think about adding a little more contrast to the black; you could either use a soft kahki color to to the highest points, or add a warm contrast to the entire area with some blue mixed with the base color...just a thought.
    Very impressive piece my friend

All the best

Patrick
  9. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    Andres
    Looks good so far. Keep it up.
    Rob
  10. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Anders - Very nice. Wish I coud find something to suggest to improve but I can't.

I like the highs and shadows on the cockade and plume. Nice...

Keith
  11. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys!

Thanks for all the replies!

Rob,

As for the teeth, yes, you are correct, the spaces inbetween the teeth should be darker in real life, but I am painting more for effect on this one and to me it looks neater with such dark borders inbetween the teeth. And with such a smile, how can I ruin it by painting his theeth discoloured!? :lol:

Patrick,

The black was painted with a nappy blue/black mix with light sand as highlghts, there is a little contrast but I was afraid to make too much contrast.
  12. Patrick Kirk New Member

Anders,
    Excellent work!
    Contrast is something that Bob Knee has pounded into my head, so that is the first thing I see, and honestly, digital photo's really don't do your work justice...I understand your point, and it's a fine line between contrast and over-painting. If you are happy with the results, then no worries. ;)

Hope all is well my friend

Patrick
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I would have to agree with Patrick as I have seen Ander's figures in person. The pictures do not do them justice and as good as the bust looks here on the planet...........wow........can't wait to see them in person.
  14. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Patrick!

I agree, contrast is one of the things that really pops out for me also. Contrast is what I have been working on the most lately as I used to be afraid to paint to much contrast, and maybe I still am, like you say there is a fine line. (between a genius and being crazy)!

Guy!

Thanks man, looking forward to see you saturday and all the figures you are bringing with you!
  15. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Anders

It is a wonderful smile!! ;)

And I totally understand the contrast issue........I struggle with it myself!
  16. Patrick Kirk New Member

Rob and Anders,
    Contrast has got to be one of the more challenging aspects of our artform...How do you approach it?

All the best

Patrick
  17. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Patrick!

What I do is start dark and go light. I find it a lot easier to paint lights then darks so I try to paint as few shadows s possible. Although this really creates a lot more work since it takes more to build up the lights but I don't mind. I also tend to add another highlight after I think it is done, that way there should be enough contrast.