1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Highlander c.XII 75mm Pegaso

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Aveleira, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi,

I've been working on this figurem for the last couple of days.
    It's the first timeI have to paint such a big amount of skin. It's a challenge that I was eager to do. Now I would like to know your honest opinion. There are a couple of places that need some more work, and the face isn't worked.

hg.jpg hg2.jpg hg3.jpg hg4.jpg hg5.jpg hg6.jpg

Regards
    Pedro
    Borek, ChaosCossack, Jazz and 6 others like this.
  2. Mark S Guest

As far as I can tell it's all good to me, but the pics aren't the best. It's a bit of a difficult call on these pics sorry mate.
  3. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    So far it looks really good, nice soft transitions and shading, I like the flesh colour also. Probably good to start basing the armbands and tartan? clothing, that way it will give you a better idea on how the overall colours and shading are going.
    Ben
  4. debrito A Fixture

Canada
    Acrylics or Oils ?
  5. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi Fellas,

Thank you for comment.
    Mark, I know the pics aren't good, isn't my usual camera...right now is what I have.

Ben, probably it's a good idea to basecoat the cloth, already did that on the hair, and it was enough to see that he ain't gonna be blond.

Debrito, it's in acrylics.

Regards
    Pedro
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Skin tone looks good ,but will show better once the clothing is painted ,don't think the pictures are all that bad either .
    Nice figure what scale is it Pedro.

Ron
  7. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your comment :) Your base will be appear later in the work process ;)
    The scale is 75mm.
    I'll think about the colour that I want for the breacan...maybe i'll go with red and green. A tip on this would be nice also.

Regards
    Pedro
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    good start.

Marc
    Aveleira likes this.
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice start pedro,im looking forward to see how you paint the clothing !,will it be a tartan scheme ? :unsure:
  10. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I agree with the other folks Pedro. This guy is looking pretty good so far (y)!

Joe
    Aveleira likes this.
  11. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
  12. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    More than likely to be a mixture of browns and tweeds and subdued greens Pedro ,More celtic
  13. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal

Medieval breacans were only on those tones? In the info sheet that come with figure, they say that can be with red and green, and other colours, that there is a lot of variety. Probably you scottsmen know better than me.

Regards
    Pedro
  14. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Pedro:

Great start. I'm with my fellow Scot, Ron. The tartan sett as we know it, is a relatively modern concept. I'm no expert but I would imagine for the era you're portraying, the dyeing process would have used minerals and plant materials giving you a range of subdued earth tones (brown, green, etc)

Cheers

Paul
  15. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal

Hum very well! It makes sense. So, following the images of the XVII, XVIII century is a waste of time, because that type of tartan borned on those times.
    Medieval is earthly tones. So, if I follow, let's say, the Braveheart movie tartan tones would be more correct? I know Hollywood movies are a crappy source material, but maybe it's a aproximate thing?

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack and Paul Kernan like this.
  16. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Will be following with interest pedro (y)
  17. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Haha...Braveheart, loved the movie. Hollywood got some of the story right but so much more wrong. It wouldn't surprise me if the rank and file Scots were a rag tag bunch but portraying Wallace as some woad wearing, cross between a Pict and a Viking was hilarious. I may lose my birthright on this one:rolleyes:but then again, we Scots are as much to blame for raising him to 'god-like' status based on stories written centuries after the actual events.

He was probably a Lowland Scot of landed gentry, so in battle he most likely wore a hauberk and possibly, a gambeson with his coat of arms.

Here is a picture of what is a representation of Wallace taken at the Wallace monument museum in Stirling. True?....who knows;)

Attached Files:

18. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Excellent start Pedro!
    Must agree with Paul. In my humble opinion, the colours and tones in the movie are fine, not the tartan.
    Will follow closely!
    Cheers mate,
    Zeno
    Aveleira likes this.
  19. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal

Yes, I know the movie is far from the truth, and that wallace wasn't a peasant, and all that other stuff...I meant the breacans that appear on the movie in general. Are they possible close to the truth? Both the tones, and the sett?

Regards
    Pedro
  20. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I would think the tartan tones in the movie are more to the truth Pedro albeit Wallace was a lowlander and probably never wore tartan of any kind .
    But your guy did so I would go with the earthly tones .

I may get slaughtered for this but I'm led to believe that Sir Walter Scott was responsible for all this bright Tartan nonsense:)
    Wings5797 and Paul Kernan like this.