1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hi... From Florida - USA

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Johan Blume, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Johan Blume New Member

Thanks for accepting me as a new forum member. I’ve been modeling for over 30 years; mainly 1/35 armor and 1/12 scale F1 models (specifically Model Factory Hiro). The work on here is amazing! I look forward to learning the techniques so I can at least try and get better. My issue right now is painting eyes, but more so the paint consistency when painting the eyes. Seems like if it’s too watered down it runs throughout the eyes socket like a wash, but too much paint then it gets streaky looking. Any recommendations on acrylic/water ratios would be greatly appreciated... or maybe oils would be better for eyes? Thanks for any help and thanks for adding me!

Johan
    1969 and oldtrousers like this.
  2. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi John

BIG WELCOME to PF

Good to have you here

Ask anything someone will know or if you wish message me ( moderator )

Lots of PF info in the WELCOME ABOARD part

As for eyes if you go to https://www.planetfigure.com/pages/articles/

I use acrylics and use a ratio of about 1:3 ( paint to water )

We also have a forum here : https://www.planetfigure.com/forums/painting-techniques.24/
    it's split between Oils and Acrylics with much informations

Look forward to your posts and enjoy the visits

Happy benchtime

Nap
  3. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome to the Planet, Johan!

I'm afraid I can't offer good advice for a thinning ratio for eyes. I use a wet palette with acrylics, and I just eyeball it (no pun intended, but I'll take it). If necessary, though, I might have to build up the color in a couple of layers. But even if it runs out of the eye a little, I know I'll cover that up as I add my flesh colors for the eyelids and shading/highlighting. But no worries-the rest of the gang will have much better advice for you than I.

I look forward to seeing your work!

Prost!
    Brad
    Nap likes this.
  4. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome Johan, I am sure you will get the help you need regarding the painting from others on here.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Nap likes this.
  5. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium