1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hi, All...

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Tonton, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thought it was about time to say hello as I've been monitoring the awe-inspiring (or should I say daunting) work on the site for some time. I've recently returned to the hobby after a break of nearly 40 years. I used to make Historex figures and, before discovering this community, opted for Verlinden 120mm Napoleonics. However, I gather, not a lot of participants here have much time for that maker. Once I've finished my current tour of duty with Verlinden, what scale and manufacturer of Napoleonics would members recommend?
  2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I'm sure most members have dabbled with Verlinden, but things have moved on.
    I'm not really a Napoleonic aficionado, but there's plenty on here that are.
    Pleased to meet you,
    Carl.(y)
  3. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Carl's right - I'm sure a lot of us have made Verlinden figures. They were very popular when I started figure modelling as a teenager in the early 90s, but the hobby has come a long way and Verlinden seems to have fallen behind.

Again, I'm no Napoleonic buff ( I am starting to be tempted by seeing some of the work here), but Metal Modeles seems a fairly popular brand for that era.
    Good luck and welcome to PF!
  4. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, Carl and Nick. Having introduced myself, I've now got to pluck up courage to show some of my work – and face the consequences!
    NickM likes this.
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Tonton,

Firstly, welcome to Planet Figure and thanks for sharing a bit about yourself.

I cut my figure modelling teeth on Verlinden resin figures almost 20 years ago, and while they were the leading products in their day, they have been surpassed by many other manufacturers in my opinion. I'm not a big fan of Napoloenics but Pegaso & Andrea do have an excellent range of Napoloeonic figures and are widely considered to be two of the best manufacturers in 54/75mm white metal figures. I mention them specifically only because they are widely available and have a large range. There are many other manufacturers you can try and it just takes some time on the internet to hunt them down.
    NickM likes this.
  6. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, Tony. I originally chose Verlinden because (a) I thought they looked good and (b) didn't think my eyes were up to working on 54mm again. Given the encouragement here, I'll now have a bash at Andrea/Pegaso/Metal Modeles figures!

Jeff
    NickM likes this.
  7. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Hello! Tonton. Like others my first attempt at figures was also with 120mm Verlinden,.. and the 'Verlinden System',.. you will find lots of help on this forum! Glad you have joined.
  8. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Welcome Tonton,

I've quite an interest in Napoleonics (mostly British) and still do the odd Historex kit but as others have stated Pegaso, Andrea and Metal Models are pretty good. Beneito and El Viejo Dragon have some nice Napoleonic pieces and M Model have an interesting range of 54mm resin figures and vignettes. If you are keen to keep with the larger scale then Stormtroopers, Victory Miniatures, CGS and Hawk Miniatures are worth a look.
  9. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, Tubby-Nuts and JonP.
  10. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Howdy Tonton, and welcome to the Planet (y)!!

Joe
  11. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers, Joe.
  12. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    Welcome to the Planet Tonton.
    Have fun here.

Alex.
  13. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank you, Alex. I'll try.

Jeff
  14. Gellso A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate,
    I think we've all dappled in Verlinden's pot at some stage.
    Nice to see you here and look forward to seeing some of your work.
    Gells.
  15. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, Gells. Will post some pics in due course.

Jeff
  16. Lasalle A Fixture

Italy
    Hi and welcome to the forum! I share with you the passion for the Napoleonic period (I'm a real fanatic!) and I can tell you that I use a lot of "Metal Modeles", "Pegaso" and "Romeo Models".
    Cheers,
    Andrea
  17. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank you, Andrea. when I've finished my current backlog of Verlinden figures I'll try them. I just hope my old eyes will be up to 54mm again!
  18. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Tonton,
    Welcome aboard, don't forget to check out Mitches Military Models aswell, he carries some fine Napoleonics in large scale. Now come on you've dipped your toe in the water, now it's time to jump in with both feet and post some of your work.
    As for Verlinden I personally still see a lot of potential in some of their figures and horses especially for converting.
    cheers
    Richie
  19. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, Richie. Lots of encouragement from members here. Good. It's what I need.
  20. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Welcome to you and don't hesitate to give your opinions
    Best