1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Henkm's WIP thread

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Henkm, May 6, 2020.

1. Henkm Well-Known Member

I've been a bad boy for not updating any WIP pictures here.
    I started on the 1/12 Celt Chief from elan13. Planning to follow the excellent advice on painting bronze with oils shared by Phil_h in https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/spartan-warrior-bust-pegaso.199544/#post-1028362 but the bronze will have to wait till I'm allowed to go to the shop and get bronze (I never knew metallics exist in oil paints...). Plenty to do on him till then anyway. Excuses for the glare, primed bits are a bit too bright for my handphone. Thanks for looking.
    wip.png
    Tony Dawe, KenBoyle, Nap and 2 others like this.
  2. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    I'm looking forward to seeing how this progresses
    Henkm likes this.
  3. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Looking great so far; can't wait to see more :)

Regards,
    Phil
    Henkm likes this.
  4. Mookie Well-Known Member

Nice start.Remember seeing Robs sculpt in an old Military modelling magazine where he did an appraisal of epoxy putty and polymers.
    Richard.
    elanlane13 and Henkm like this.
  5. Henkm Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. I'll try to take a better picture today after doing the tan cape.
    Nap likes this.
  6. Henkm Well-Known Member

I made the tan colour by simply mixing Nap yellow and zinc white. Had to wet my brush with linseed oil as the nap yellow has gone so stiff (I usually use straight from the tube). End result: paint is not opaque enough and will need a second coat in a few days time.
    As you may be able to see, the tip of his nose is not smooth, I think it's the primer having gone on uneven.
    Also, when assembling the 'thingy' on top his helmet broke and I tried to put it in place with a collar of green stuff. Though oversized, I was quite chuffed with how regular the collar looks only now I realise it has set off-centre. Bummer but I think I'll just leave it as it is.
    WIP.png
    Oda, elanlane13 and Nap like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Great to see your V bench stuff

And a bust as well ...painted a version a while back ...this was I think Robs first bust in his own range ..might be wrong ...I kept breaking off the helmet top !

Yours is coming along nicely

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    Oda and Henkm like this.
  8. Henkm Well-Known Member

Thanks Nap. I'm trying to not break the helmet top again, just for an extra challenge.
    Oda and Nap like this.
  9. Henkm Well-Known Member

Not quite December yet but St Nick passed by yesterday and left me some goodies:
    DSC_0030.JPG
    Actually hadn't planned to paint much today because I have some work to do, but couldn't resist the siren call so made a start with the bronze:
    WIP.png
    As always, thanks for looking. Happy bench time.
    PLG, Oda, KenBoyle and 3 others like this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Wish St Nick would drop by here !

The bronze os looking good

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    Oda and Henkm like this.
  11. Henkm Well-Known Member

Thanks Nap!
    Nap likes this.
  12. Henkm Well-Known Member

I think I'm calling the celt chief finished. Will try to get decent pictures outside tomorrow when it's bright but cloudy. Following up, two days ago Figone's moorish guard arrived (ordered it before realising how incredibly high kaws and Mobo have placed the bar on this ...). The package spent more than a month in transit and that together with the sparse protection (in a ziplock bag, in a plastic box. No 'peanuts' or other foamy stuff) has done in the sword (tip broken off), tassle on the sword (but the way that is cast is very optimistic, let's say) and if there was on ornament on top of the helmet (can't really make that out), then that's now gone too. Spent some time today cleaning up and filling holes and trying to make a new sword tip from greenstuff. I guess I'll have to look for brass sheet though. Anyway, more pictures of that later. Sorry for the lack of light in the pics.
    done.png begun.png
    Oda, KenBoyle and Nap like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Good to see this finished , pics as you say dark so hope we can see more soon

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to the Moor

Happy benchtime

Nap
  14. Henkm Well-Known Member

I should probably have swept the leaves out of the drain but don't let that distract you. Thanks for looking.
    celt4.png celt5.png celt1.png celt2.png celt3.png
    Oda, Old Pete and Nap like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Henk

Thanks for the new pictures , fear not the leaves in drain don't detract from a good bit of painting

The helmet and chest plate looks good

Thnaks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    Henkm likes this.
  16. Henkm Well-Known Member

Thanks Nap.
  17. Henkm Well-Known Member

Prepped up the Moor. I put a blob of greenstuff to replace the broken tip of his sword and spent a considerable time pushing and grinding to make it look like a blade but looking at the picture it pretty much looks like what it is: a blob of greenstuff. So will need to think of something else there. Put a basecoat on face and hands, at least that doesn't look too bad (to my standards). As always, thanks for looking and all comments welcome.
    wip-1.png
    Oda likes this.
  18. Henkm Well-Known Member

I must be the world's slowest painter. Anyway, most basecoats done. Tunic should be striped but needs some tidying up. Thanks for looking as always and all comments welcome.
    wip.png
  19. Henkm Well-Known Member

I maintain my comment from 2(!) months ago: world's slowest painter. Anyway, I did make some progress on the guard. I tried to cast aduplicate of whatever semicircular handle is on his left side. Not quite happy with how big and coarse it came out, maybe I should knock it off and try again? The thingy he's standing in front of should become his base. Will some extra to fill out the space but no clue as of yet what to pick. Also, made a begin with King George V's horse. As always, thanks for looking and any helpful tips very welcome.
    WIP.png WIP-1.png WIP-2.png WIP-3.png WIP-4.png WIP-5.png
    Martin64 likes this.