1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Help with Waffen SS Painting???

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Sturm Grenadier, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Everyone, I found this painting online today researching wss uniforms. What I liked most about the painting, was the face of this soldier. I would like to try and do a half figure/bust conversion similar to this painting. I am no sculptor, but hopefully I can find the correct parts to attempt a scratch build. My question to you,... is this painting of a known real life NCO? Who painted this portrait? Is there a title to this painting? Any help would be greatly appreciated. No information was given on the artist when I found the painting, and I would like to acknowledge the painter for the inspiration to start the project. Also, feel free to sculpt, or convert, your own version if you like the portrait as much as I do. If it has been done before, I have never seen it, and that's kind of surprising. Regards, SG waffen_SS_opener.jpg
  2. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  3. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    hmb-14.jpg Hello Carl, Thanks for posting the site. I was unfamiliar with Harton Miniatures. The bust looks very close to the portrait. Was this bust sculpted by Carl Reid? Also, is Harton Miniatures still being produced? Thanks again Carl. Regards, SG
  4. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes it's Carl sculpt SG.
    I think they're still going, maybe worth sending them an email.
    Carl.
    Sturm Grenadier likes this.
  5. faust18 Active Member

I folowed the link, didnt rate their take on the figure in the portrait unfortunately. I noticed they also advertise "pewter friuts"
    for sale so alls not lost lol. I think the guy in the pic has an upturned bergmann mp34 under his wing
  6. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Hi SG,
    Not sure what the question is exactly , but I sculpt the piece in the photo. It was a million years ago though. Lol!
    I didn't use the painting as reference, in fact its the first time I've seen it.
    It would make a nice piece though.

I hope this has shed a little light on it.

Carl
  7. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Faust 18, Yes it is a Bergmann MP slung from his shoulder. At first, I thought the portrait was of Ludwig Kepplinger, because his weapon was the Bergmann. He was the first Waffen SS NCO to win the Knight's cross. Here are some images of Kepplinger 344586d1336774678t-waffen-ss-paintings-painting-wolfgang-willr.jpg 344301d1336728487t-waffen-ss-paintings-17hx3.jpg There is a slight resemblence, but not sure if it is him. Thanks for posting Faust. Regards, SG:happy:
    Martin64 and faust18 like this.
  8. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Carl (Reid), Thanks for verifying your sculpt of the Grenadier. It's a great looking piece. For never seeing the portrait I posted, your bust is very close, especially the face. I thought that maybe you used the painting for reference, and could shed some light on who the artist might be. Also, is your bust of this Grenadier still available? If its not, I hope to see something similar in the future. I really enjoy your work, and would like to see a few WW2 subjects from your varied, and very original topics, in the future. Thanks Carl. Regards, SG:happy:
  9. faust18 Active Member

Ill have a rumage and see what I come up with ,, as for it being ludwig kepplinger thecleft chin is very prominant with him wel get to the bottom of who it is in the end, bests faust 88
  10. faust18 Active Member

I and its a MP28 bergmann hes holding , its got to be somebody of note in the openings of the war or nobody at all, their propaganda art is a bit generic, saying that you wouldnt choose this guy on looks either though would you?
  11. carl reid A Fixture

England
    I have no idea if that piece is still available SG! I know some of the range is.
    I know SK stock some of the old Harton range. So I would ask Steve Kirtley first. But he is away at the moment.

Carl
  12. polyphemus Well-Known Member

I think that Steve is able to obtain figures/busts from Griffin. Failing that I have dealt with Griffin directly albeit a few years ago. I think you would need to contact them with anything you wanted to buy and they send you an invoice which is to be paid by bank transfer. Items aren't or at least back then weren't held in stock but are cast to order. If I remember correctly I ordered on a Monday & received the items on Wednesday.

Geoff
  13. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Faust, The Grenadier in the portrait may not be a poster child, I agree, but what I liked about the face, was the war weary look he has, tired but still confidant, at least to me. Alot of character in that face. Regards, SG
    faust18 likes this.
  14. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Carl and Geoff. I'll make some inquiries and see what I come up with. Much appreciated guys. Regards, SG:happy: