1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Help with W&N 7 brushes

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Joe Osborne, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Joe Osborne Member

Folks,

Great site lots of info.... One question on series 7 brushes... What are the differences between series 7 miniature and regular series 7 brushes?

As a new guy starting out painting oils and acrylics which should I buy? I know... Two sets of each :) but looking at buying two sets of 1, 0, 00 and need to be a bit cost conscious. Is one type preferable?

Regards,

Joe
  2. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Hi Joe

the Miniature Series 7 have very short hairs; probably 1/2 to 2/3 the length of the regular ones depending on the brush size. Some people love the miniatures but I find that they don't hold enough paint and aren't flexible for most of the stuff I do. They are very good for dotting eyeballs and adding very fine detail though.
  3. skeeterbuck Active Member

United-States
    Joe, the miniature style have shorter hairs that the regular style series 7. I prefer the regular style as they hold more paint. The thing that's important to me is the brush tip.

Hope this helps,
    Chuck
  4. Joe Osborne Member

Hmmm... almost sounds like regular size would definitely be better for acrylics as smaller sizes paint would tend to dry on the smaller brushes... soooo.. maybe it will be two sets of standards to start with (one for oil and one for acrylics)... and wait to see if there's a need for the minis. Thank you both for sharing this info!
  5. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    No problem Joe
  6. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    I would recommend the regular brushes as opposed to the miniature series. They hold more paint. I paint every thing with a #2 and #000.