1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Acrylics Help with NMM

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by clevischi, Aug 7, 2011.

1. clevischi Member

United-States
    Hello friends, this is my first try using NMM, but i realize that something is missing, the effect is not so well, could please some one help me?

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I think you should choosen here for real metallics.
    The NMM technique is in my opinion for golden and silver lace, what in reality is not metallic.

Marc
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    since you are trying NMM's you probably already know they can be used to create any color of metal, red, green, blue, silver, gold etc.. If you are trying only to create a realistic silver you can just use very thin (well placed) coates of black over a white base coat. the first pass with the thin black will actually appear gray because of the white under layer. Each new pass of black makes the grey darker and darker. Make sure your highest high lite is about pure white and it should be a sharp edge highlite to create the shine. If you want more fantasy looking metal add some purples and blues in there. You'll also want to have some shine lines (I don't know the technical term) a good reference for this would be some paintings that depict shiny objects such as christmas ornament bulbs or even of chrome things like bumpers on cars. It is a very hard thing to pull off but when it is done properly it looks 10x better than metallic paint (In my opinion). Don't give up and keep us posted on your progress.
    Guy likes this.
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
  5. clevischi Member

United-States
    Thank you friends for all the help and kindly answers. I have done a little more:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    gordy and Meehan34 like this.
  6. MINOS New Member

France
    Bonjour
    Si tu permets je vais te répondre en français...j'espère que tu le comprend :)
    Alors le principal problème est que ton NMM manque de contraste et de richesse dans les teintes
    Une surface métallique qui reçoit de la lumière est fortement contrastée, ça part du presque noir au blanc pur pour les reflets
    Tu dois reprendres ces surfaces en ajoutant d'autres teintes aussi, peut être du vert, du bleu, du marron dans certaines ombres
    Penses quand tu feras les ultimes lumièresn qu'elles se font sur des zones trés étroites, plus le métal est poli, plus ces lumières sont intenses et localisées
    Ce n'est pas pour te décourager, mais le NMM est une technique assez difficile à maitriser, mais avec du travail on y arrive (y)
  7. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Exactly, very well said. Bring that highest highlite to pure white with a razor sharp line, this will give the appearance of shine. and blend into the darkest areas with some purples and blues. You are getting there but it will be frustrating especially on your first try. Actually I've tried it about eight times now and it is still frustrating.