1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Help with Drummer boy shakos

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by diamond cutter, Mar 13, 2012.

1. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi All
    I wondered if anyone had any definitive info on British Napoleonic Drummer boy headgear esp shakos both Belgic and stovepipe?
    Were they just cut down versions of adult ones or were they especialy made?
    Any help will be gratefully received!!!
    Thanks
    Pete
  2. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I found one in TK Max.
    gordy likes this.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Glad you got sorted Pete. I know primarni did them.(y)
    On a more serious note, I know nothing about them, and as you know there's nothing on the net.
    Carl.(y)
  4. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    The only reference I could find at all was reference to a cut down shako plate to fit the smaller boys size shako so i guess that there must have been a specialy made smaller version.
    Cheers Carl:)
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    I searched and could not find diddly about them either, Pete what you did find where was it ?
  6. Tony Barton Active Member

United-States
    I think the answer may be that no special shakos were provided, beyond the normal range of sizes. Although on Home Service quite young boys were sometimes recruited ( seven or eight ) , the boys on foreign service were normally over 14 or so, and though shrimpy by modern standards they could probably wear the men's sizes, which would also have been rather smaller than modern sizes. Remember most Napoleonic Infantry were around 5 foot five inches, and very slender.
    I presume you have a boy-sized figure, but it's also worth noting that quite a lot of drummers were young or even not-so-young men.
  7. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great points, I would reckon they were more 'field mod' rather than factory produced? Presuming there are no surviving examples.
  8. polyphemus Well-Known Member

I know it doesn't relate to their headgear but I have come across a reference to regulations wherein it's recognised that there may be insufficient space on a drummer boy's uniform to accomodate the prescribed amount of drummers lace. That's the only place I've found where there is recognition of any physical difference between rank & file soldiers and the younger of the regimental musicians. I've been told that it was a prerequisite for drummers that they were to be able to handle the regular sized drum regardless of age so they couldn't have been that small. Tony is quite correct to point out that many of the musicians were adult.
    The painting of the drums & fifes of the 57th at Albuera by Lady Butler rather nicely captures this mix of ages.

Pete I think that common sense would suggest that a diminutive person would have had real problems wearing a full size shako and so there must have been concessions in the supply of suitable headgear.
    What the hell sculpt it so it looks right and maybe one day you'll be cited as an authoritive source:)

Geoff
    gordy likes this.
  9. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi!! Thanks for the imput guys(y)
    I think that I will do what Geoff suggests although I'm not sure about my becoming an Authoritive source!!!!
    I'll post some pics of the finished article (when I finish it!!) and see what people think
  10. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    The site I found was called 'Drummer' Drummers of the Penninsular and Napoleonic wars.
    I dont know how to link it-sorry!!!!
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
  12. diamond cutter Active Member

United-Kingdom
    That's the one Carl:)
  13. Sapper8863 Member

Scotland
    Hi Pete.

How are you. I am not 100% sure but did drummers not usually wear a bear skin grenadier style cap. here is an excellent Reinactors site from America that gives the Royal clothing warrant for 1768 which may help. http://www.1stroyals.org/documents/clothingwarrant.pdf

The warrant gives the following details of the Drummers caps.

The drummers and fifers to have black bear-skin
    caps. On the front, the King's crest, of silver plated
    metal, on a black ground, with trophies of colours
    and drums. The number of the regiment on the back
    part; as also the badge, if entitled to any, as ordered
    for the grenadiers.

Of course this may have changed by the time of the Napoleonic wars, however I seem to recall reading some where that they were still issued with Grenadier caps but to wear these only for ceremonial duties. Some may have been used on active service rather than the plain Infantry Shako, depending on the O.C.s perference.
    Cheers
    Ian.