1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Help with a painting

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Sturm Grenadier, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Everyone, I found this excellent portrait on line the other day. I have no idea what unit this portrait is from, can anybody help? Also, was there ever a bust, or full figure, produced from this painting? It looks very familiar to me, but can't quite place it. Thanks for any help. Regards, SG 2ceae28e7b81cb2b4ffea37535a370e2.jpg
  2. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi SG, nice painting, looks like it could be a Napoleonic lancer from the Imperial Guard (polish lancer?) but can't be sure without checking reference. Will have a look at my books tomorrow. Don't know if a figure was made.
    Cheers Mat
    Sturm Grenadier likes this.
  3. I believe its intended to be a Polish Lancer of the French Imperial Guard.

Pegaso's bust is pretty similar (minus the pipe).

[IMG]
  4. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  5. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sorry I mis-typed, meant Polish not Dutch !
    Mat
  6. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Capt. Sprout, I think you may be right. What, if any, is the significance of the cords and shoulder board on the opposite side from the painting? Regards, SG:)
  7. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Mat, The first photo you posted resembles the painting very closely. Is there also a significance in which side the headgear tassle was worn? Regards, SG:)
  8. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I believe (but don't claim to be expert) that troopers wore the epaulette on the right shoulder and the aiguilette cords hanging from the left shoulder whereas officers wore them on the opposite with the epaulette on the left shoulder and the aiguilette cords on the right (left and right shoulders being from the perspective of the man wearing the uniform).
    In all the illustrations I've seen a white plume is worn on the left side of the polish lancers cap or 'czapka/chapka'.
    Also most illustrations don't seem to show such large cords hanging from the cap but usually smaller cords strung from the right side across to the left and then hanging down the left side. So that leaves me unsure the significance of what side these are on and why the sculptor has chosen to model them on a different side to how they are on the painting.
    Cheers Mat
  9. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    My mistake again (it's getting late!) but now I see the sculptor has put the helmet cords on the same side as the painting. But like I said before these don't seem to match most of the illustrations I've seen.
    The epaulette arrangements etc would suggest the painting is of a trooper and the model is of an officer - so maybe that's why the tassels are bigger on the model?
    Cheers Mat
  10. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Mat, You may be right about the wearing of these cords and boards between officers and troopers. Or maybe it is a difference between service or campaign dress, I don't know for sure? It's very interesting though. I would like to do a bust, or full figure, as in the painting, if I can find something similar to it. Napoleon era armies are not my main interest, but I do like the uniforms, and there are alot of very detailed figures/busts from this period. I'll have to do more research before I attempt this project. I definitely need to learn all the proper names for all the uniform details, there's a ton of them. Thanks Mat for the illustrations, and your input. Regards, SG:)
  11. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Capt. Sprout, Thanks for posting the Pegaso bust. Great details, and excellent painting, I like it. Regards, SG:)