1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Help Please

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Ray Stout, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Apart from the Metalcote range from Humbrol, does anyone know of similar paints available which need to be polished to enhanse their effects. Ray
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Ray

I have heard the Darkstar metallics are great and some I know have polished the surface with a cotton bud

Nap
  3. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    It might be worth having a look at the products available to aircraft modelers for metal effects.
    Wings5797 likes this.
  5. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A little trick I've used for years is to use oils mixed with sintered metal powder for the basic iron, brass, copper
    so forth and then gently burnish with a little graphite powder afterwards to enhance the specularity. Admittedly
    it's a bit stone-age and it would probably be easier to use any of the 'Liquid Leaf'' metallics and then do the graphite
    thing when it's dry. The trick is to be gentle with the burnishing.
    OldTaff and Wings5797 like this.
  6. Ray Stout Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. Just got a dremel, and had spectacular results with the Metalcote, but they only do Gun Metal and Steel. I'm looking to create the same effect with Brass and Copper Ray
  7. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The gun metal and steel are great, but the bronze and copper are pants! Dunno about the brass. The particles on the latter ones look much bigger and dont polish well(y)
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Mr Metal Color from Gunze Sangyo did it for me.

Marc
  9. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I agree with Marc, Mr Metal Colour.

Keith
  10. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Darkstar molten metal range of paints are the best I have ever used, you can buff them up after they have dried out properly.

Tommi

1.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg
    OldTaff, Jeff T and valiant like this.
  11. colonnello kurz Active Member

Australia
  12. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I saw Tommi's figure above at FigureWorld today, and it is a marvellous lesson and example of how to paint with metallic acrylics.

Alan
    Tommi likes this.
  13. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    I have used Dark Star, Metalcote and Mr Metal, and prefer Dark Star. Excellent to work with.

Chris
  14. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comment Alan, was just experimenting with trying to paint lots of armour and what effects I can achieve.
    Cheers
    Tommi