1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Help on Wuttemburg Chasseurs 'a Cheval

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by pgarri27, Apr 7, 2015.

1. pgarri27 Well-Known Member

United-States
    I can find very little information on the Wuttemburg Chasseurs a Cheval. I have this picture and would like to make a figure of him. I am interested in additional information on the uniform, and on the unit. When and where did it serve. What battles did they participate in. What reference books are available with descriptions of this unit.
    f47662ab5474.jpg wurtemberg05.jpg
  2. Huw63 A Fixture

Hello. Württemburg is today one of the two former kingdoms that make up the modern German state of Baden-Württemberg. The capital is Stuttgart and both Mercedes Benz and Porsche have their headquarters in the vicinity. It's the south western state of the German Republic.

It was part of the confederation of the Rhine and fought as an ally of Napoleon. It would be impossible to go into details here but you'll find the information in these books:
    - With Eagles to Glory: Napoleon and His German Allies in the 1809 Campaign by John Gill
    - John Gill's trilogy on the campaign of 1809
    - James R Arnold's books on the 1809 campaign
    - Osprey books for Uniform details
    - a useful biography of a soldier is that of Jakob Walter
    - in Russia with Napoleon by Faber du Four who was an artist and serving artillery officer
    - if you can get access to a copy - La Confederation du Rhin published by Quatador press (French language but covers history and uniforms - author I will need to check on his name when I'm home from work

Hope this helps

Cheers

Huw
    pgarri27 likes this.
  3. Jaybo Well-Known Member

United-States
    The Faber de Faur work is excellent.
    pgarri27 likes this.