1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Oils Help needed / Painting with Green

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Akritas, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    Hi All,

Again your valuable advice is much needed. You see green is not my favourite colour and now I am painting a figure whose tunic is.....Green. I've tried acrylics which is my preferred medium these days but I consider the results too flat.:arghh: So I've turned to my trusted oil paints once again (Daler Rowney by preference). So ..... my main problem is highlights. I've tried lightening up by using golden yellow but just can't get that right blend.

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks
    Akritas
  2. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Akritas

When I have painted greens in oils, I used a mix of Prussian blue and cadmium yellow, to achieve the initial shade that I have wanted rather than using a green direct from the tube
    You can use different blues or yellows depending on the shade of green that your after.
    To highlight I just added a little more yellow to the base mix, and if needed a little white.

If you can obtain a copy of Bob Knee's Colour Theory book, you'll find it very useful.

Hope this helps
    Eludia and Akritas like this.
  3. Akritas Active Member

Cyprus
    Many thanks MalcC. Your suggested method worked wonders actually.

Cheers
    MalcC likes this.
  4. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Good to hear.

Malc