1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Help, need horse reign material supplier

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by rcfanuk, Nov 2, 2020.

1. rcfanuk Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi, anyone have a UK supplier of thin lead foil for horse reigns, I can find sticky backed but not plain, I’m probably not using the correct search term.
    I ordered some from China but over a month later it hasn’t arrived, so need another supplier.

TIA
    Steve
  2. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  3. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve
    Try using the 'lead' foil from around a wine bottle or fly fishing lead tie such as this
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FLY-TYIN...293608?hash=item5b302d3768:g:j3IAAOSwe7BWvdnv
    If you've already got some self adhesive stuff you should find that cellulose thinners will remove the glue

Another alternative is thin brass shim which can be annealed to make is easier to bend

Generally I use thin card or thick paper for reins since I find it handles better, but it's personal choice.:)

Cheers
    Paul
    Helm, Hawk_Uk and rcfanuk like this.
  4. rcfanuk Member

United-Kingdom
  5. rcfanuk Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Paul, I have used wine bottle stuff but it’s not long enough, I’ll take a look at the lead strip

Steve
  6. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Here's a recent thread on sourcing lead foil, that might be of interest to you, too:

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/lead-sheet-foil.281732/#post-1103571

My suggestion, if the usual pieces of lead foil aren't long enough to give you the lengths that you want for your reins, is to use fine solder, which you can cut to rough length and then roll flat to the necessary widths.

Prost!
    Brad
    Fantomas, rcfanuk and Nap like this.
  7. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    rcfanuk likes this.
  8. rcfanuk Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Brad
  9. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey I wanted to jump on this thread. I’m doing my first 75mm cavalry model. I’ve only ever done 54mm and I have special brass etch reins for those. I only have a small piece of foil that came with the model so I don’t want to blow it. Does anyone have any tips for cutting reins?
  10. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Use masking tape to hold the material to a flat surface, a new scalpel bade and a straight edge and don't try too hard to cut it in one go (some materials are a bit thicker than others) Not that tricky once you get the knack and there's usually a bit of spare so don't panic if the first one you cut isn't perfect.:)
    Cheers
    Paul
    Nap and kevininpdx like this.
  11. nig-g Active Member

Most good artist material shops should stock sheet lead/pewter.
    N
    Nap and rcfanuk like this.
  12. R Dominick PlanetFigure Supporter

I use lead solder. I flatten it out and it is easy to work with.
    Nap, theBaron and rcfanuk like this.
  13. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    In the uk, shop for leadfoil strip at flytying suppliers.
    I use Troutcatcher.co.uk, 2 widths of strip, each supllied wrapped around a cardholder like fusewire.

But for 54mm and 75mm just stick 2 lengths of electricians tape to itself, tape it onto a cutting board and slice the width and length you need, it's flexible enough to sag, and elastic enough to glue taut and stay straight
    Nap and DaddyO like this.
  14. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I lean towards the lead solder....but the trick is being able to flatten it out and for that you need a hard surface like the jaws of a vice to be able to work it with a hammer to the desired thickness; and the a bit of finess with draw file and grades of sanding media to the desired size and thickness. Then blacken with solder black. Not that easy if you don't have the right tools but I like the result. Also depends on what scale you're working in.

Wayne
    Nap likes this.
  15. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    rcfanuk likes this.
  16. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Just been to the kitchen and measured the Bacofoil with my micrometer.
    0.2 mm thick.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    rcfanuk and Nap like this.
  17. R Dominick PlanetFigure Supporter

Wayne,
    The lead solder I use it pretty soft and come in different thicknesses. I simply take my exacto knife and use the handle and flatten the solder out on the table by sliding the handle along the solder. The diameters I use are pretty thin so it is perfect for sizes 54mm- 100mm+ depending on what kind of straps, etc you are needing. I use it for horse reigns, canteen straps, etc.
    theBaron and rcfanuk like this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Lots of great suggestions as always

Nice one everyone

Nap
    rcfanuk likes this.
  19. rcfanuk Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks all, just to round this up I got some lead strip for fishermen and it’s perfect for my use ( Veniard flat lead strip standard 2mm from Amazon)