1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hello from Whitby, Ontario

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by D. Overland, Mar 6, 2016.

1. D. Overland New Member

I last painted a mini in 1990, so it has been almost 26 years (man I'm getting old) since I last touched a brush to a mini. I am looking into getting back into the hobby and would like to hear advice on recommended paint lines.
    My old GW paints are all dried up as unfortunately the pots where not sealed air tight so I need to invest in new paints, I have heard some disparaging things about GW and their business practices, and I am unfamiliar with their new paint line or other paint lines on the market. I would like to be able to by from local shops (I live in whitby, Ontario, Canada, approx 40 min east of Toronto by car), but I am not sure what lines are carried in my local hobby shops. I am on a bit of a budget so would like to know what is recommended as really good value for the buck. Also it would seem that I need to replace most of my brushes as my young children have got a hold of my old ones at some point and pretty much destroyed them, what brushes would you recommend that are not to prohibitive in cost. I still have a bunch of painted and unpainted RAFM and Ral Partha metal mini's from back in the day and I thought I would take a crack and gettting those painted up and seeing if I could even sell some of them once I get them finished.
    Thanks for any advise in advance
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Welcome to the planet. We have a pretty active group of figure painter in the GTA. Check out our club site (Southwestern Ontario Figure painters Club)
    http://www.swofc.com/
    Also a great local supplier... The Bent Bristle. Paints, brushes, accessories and a great catalogue of figures.
    www.bentbristle.com

The club meets the first Sunday of the month, we put on a figure show in the fall and have other events as well... And it's a good bunch of guys IMHO

Maybe we'll see you at a meeting in the near future. Look forward to it

Colin
  3. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    There is a, 'Whitby in Canada??:wideyed: .. This I have to 'Google'.

Welcome to this site. Enjoy your stay.

Regards,

Mark.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Pleased to meet you.(y)
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Lol
    I don't know what you'll find Mark... A quiet suburb wedged between Toronto (Hogtown) and Oshawa (The Dirty Shwa). In the not so distant past, we in Toronto, more specifically Scarborough, used to refer to Whitby as Whiteby... Draw your own conclusions ;)
  6. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Would that be drive 'White-by'. For those who suffer from a 'Lisp'. ?? However, I also did not know there was a 'Scarborough', either. :wideyed:

At least it is by the shore! granted an 'effing big lake but still.:LOL:

Mark.
  7. tock24 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Welcome to the site! As a former resident of Pickering, in Durham region I well know the ins and outs of Scarberia and White-by!
    [Mark, you now have to Google ALL the towns and villages from Petticoat Creek to Kingston!]
    Ian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    What!!! A, 'Pickering', as well ?? .. Are you all descended from, 'North Yorkshire'? and the 'North-East'.:wideyed:

Mark.
  9. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome (y)

Tommi
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Whitby, Pickering, Ajax... In Durham region. Toronto is in York region and includes North York and East York. I live in Scarborough (Scarberia, Scarlem or just The Scar) but the neighbourhood I live in is called Agincourt. We have a Brighton, a Stratford, a Waterloo and even a London!!!
    You could come here and feel like you never left home ;)
    Tubby-Nuts2 and tock24 like this.
  11. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thieving buggers!:LOL:
    Although enlightening.

Mark
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    welcome to the planet
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Lol. I see you've been here. Don't fall asleep with your mouth open if you have gold teeth (I always carry pliers )
  14. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Ah, then you are from Yorkshire! :D

Mark.
  15. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Welcome here.

I am located in Quebec.

For paints, I strongly suggest buying Vallejo paints. Very easy to obtain in Canada anywhere.

I buy my brushes directly from the UK from Jackson's Art supplies.

They offer free shipping worldwide for brushes and they have by far the best prices for brushes for us canadians.

I would suggest buying one or two Series 7 or Raphael size 1 or size 2 brushes.

Cheers

Alex
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hornet carries Vallejo paint and Bent Bristle carries Scale75 paint and Broken Toad brushes which are decent, low cost sable brushes. Check em out
  17. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Greetings to you, and welcome to the Planet (y)!

Joe
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day and Welcome aboard
  19. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome to the Forum, enjoy the banter.

May I apolgise for the rough nature of some of my colleagues as already displayed here.
    Many are backwoodsmen on motorbikes, and receiving therapy others are being tutored in English by a hairy tailed rodent, others are even those Canadi...... oh!

Alex if that's Jacksons in the UK, then it's no wonder I can't get near the counter for mail order packages;).
    They are wonderful helpful people when you enter the store, it's like visiting a Dickens filmset.

Magic.

Paul.
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Welcome
    I'm glad, I see you already have contacts proposals in Ontario