1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hello from Seaton, E. Devon

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Geoff Charman, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Hello Everyone, I am Geoff, retired and living with my wife, Helen in East Devon. I have been modelling since I was about 8 or 9 starting with Airfix aircraft, since then I have modelled Rose 54mm white-metal figures, other metal figures from various manufacturers, large scale Tamiya F1 and sports-cars, more aircraft then a friend said he was fed up with seeing me only do a/c and gave me a 1/35th Willy's Jeep and that got me hooked on that scale and I commenced making AFV's and soft topped vehicles and associated figures to make into dioramas.
    During this time the friend who gave me the Jeep to build started the Tank Museum Volunteer Modellers group and asked me if I would like to be part of it, I jumped at the chance and have been doing modelling sessions, mainly during the school holidays, at the museum since about 2008. While there I usually make and paint 1/35 figures and get a lot of interest from all ages.
    I started painting busts at the end of 2015 when I saw the 1/9th Life Miniatures bust of Hindenburg and just had to have it, and that started the "addiction" since then I have painted a further 22, varying from 1/16 to 1/10th, and with each one I learn a bit more.
    I use Vallejo acrylics for the main parts and Artist's oils for the face and other skin areas.

Hope I have not been too long winded and looking forward to being on here.
  2. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Geoff

A BIG WELCONE to PF

Long winded ..certainly not ...nice to hear about you and good the Tank Museum have such a good response ( it's always a good show there )

Happy painting

Nap
    stoffy01 and Geoff Charman like this.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Welcome to PF Geoff.
    Geoff Charman likes this.
  4. swralph A Fixture

Hello Geoff and welcome to PF.:)
    Ralph.
  5. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Hi Ralph and thank you.
    swralph likes this.
  6. Geoff Charman A Fixture

7. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Geoffrey, sorry I didn't spot this post sooner.
    Welcome...glad you are here.
    I hope you see enough inspiration here to do a complete figure again, instead of all these busts ;) :D

Paul
    Geoff Charman and napoleonpeart like this.
  8. Nap A Fixture

England

Right you ....outside now and I will make you a 1:1 scale bust ...lol

...honestly Geoff these full figure painters eh

I have seen your full figures both PD and Geoff ..rather dashed good

Nap
    peedee and Geoff Charman like this.
  9. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome to the Planet, Geoff! I look forward to seeing photos of the things you've built and painted.

I'm a fan of Rose figures, too, especially Gammage's catalogs of the Seven Years War and the Kaiser's Army. They fit in well with Stadden, Tradition, Imrie-Risley, etc. Nicely sculpted, simple, yet detailed, and for Seven Years War cavalry, he provided a selection in a subject where there just aren't that many figures.

Prost!
    Brad
  10. Geoff Charman A Fixture

P1100453.JPG

Here is a full figure I did many years ago,
    theBaron and peedee like this.
  11. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks guys and one more full figure from my past.

P1100366.JPG
    theBaron likes this.
  12. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well well well.
    I did both of those too !
    i remember thinking after adding the caplines with Araldite to the lancer cap "what an achievement".
    Hahaha

We do have good taste Geoff.

Paul
    theBaron and Geoff Charman like this.
  13. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thank you Paul.
  14. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Geoff

Nice figures ..the first looks like a David(?) Jarvis sculpt I think .....who released both ...think I saw them in an old copy of MM ..possibly Hinchcliffe or Realmodels ?

The 2nd looks like a Volunteer unit (Prince of Wales perhaps) ...not sure of scale ( poss 90mm or 100 mm) but believe they still stand up in today's hobby .

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  15. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Hi Geoff
    Welcome to Planet Figure, thanks for showing some nice figures from the past.(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  16. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Kev, Yes you are correct with 9th Lancer, David Jarvis and bought from Hinchcliffe, and the 2nd was the Prince of Wales Volunteers 1803 by Barton Miniatures, 90mm.
    peedee and napoleonpeart like this.
  17. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thank you Jim, you are welcome, as all I had posted and some wanted to know if I painted models with legs on I thought I would keep them happy. ;)
    peedee and napoleonpeart like this.
  18. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Pleased to meet you Geoff.(y)
  19. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thank you Carl.
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Geoff

Thanks for the introduction and welcome to Planet Figure. You'll find us a pretty helpful bunch if you have any questions about painting techniques or anything to do with modelling in general.

The great joy of our hobby is that no matter how old you are or how long you've been modelling, there's always new products and new techniques being developed that keep things fresh and new, and always that great challenge to improve your technique and take you figure modelling to the next level. I hope you find, as did I when I joined Planet Figure, ha regular contact with the great modellers on this forum can't help but inspire you to try new things and improve your modelling.