1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hello from Peterborough UK...... Again!

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Graham, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    image.jpg This is actually very good work!(y) ..However, once you have spoken to Roger,.. you may see how some simple touches' of some oil paint will, and can maximise the effect and depth of this piece! ;)

Mark
    Graham likes this.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Welcome Graham. I am on the way back to Aberdeen and a month's leave so I'll be able help you out with your flats. I'm no expert but to tell the truth your painting of Dietriech only needs a little refinement, it's pretty good.

Roger.
    Graham likes this.
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Graham,
    Welcome aboard, one thing you can be assured of is lots of helps. Now then..... Roger sometimes has an aptitude for telling lies, I blame a month a sea with all those rough sailors and it's your turn in the barrell:rolleyes:. Mind you he can't take photo's for **** :facepalm: and sometimes this does not show his work to it's full potential:(, but when you see them in the flesh they are outstanding with such depth and roundness(y):)(y) . Sometimes I just stand and shake my head....speechless.:notworthy:
    He can certainly help and coach you.

cheers
    Richie

and Roger don't forget to sign the cheque this time:D
    housecarl, Graham and Tubby-Nuts2 like this.
  4. Graham A Fixture

England
    Lol, cheers guys. My main problem is that I can take the photos which make my efforts look even worse in close up :)

My main problem is the blending. When I start to blend with thin lighter paint, it goes 'chalky'. Not sure if this is because it is not thin enough or too thin. However I do believe I am getting a smoother blend than I used to but it just doesn't look right, not smooth enough in the transitions and looking like they have face powder on.

I will put some pics up later as I am working on a test piece at the moment. In my usual style though, I have picked a face from the Young's Miniatures Crusader in Jerusalem. Not ideal as it is almost a flat with a full beard which means I don't really have a full face to work on, talk about making it easy for myself!!! Still it is the only decent piece I have to hand of a decent size. Must dig out some of the few pieces I have, mainly flats and semi rounds. I will be getting a few larger pieces to get some serious technique learning done.
  5. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mate, get down to Figure World at Oundle next month. You'll learn more there from talking to people in a couple of hours than you'd think possible. Be great to see you there.
    napoleonpeart and Graham like this.
  6. Graham A Fixture

England
    I will be doing my best to get there Mr Pew :) I learned a lot from the first one, sadly, I just didn't follow it up. This time will be better :)
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Graham likes this.
  8. Graham A Fixture

England
    That is a great tutorial Roger but it is a bit like déjà vu for me and I have a feeling it may be even closer than that!

I have some memory issues which means I forget names and numbers however, I never forget what a privilege it is when someone takes the time and trouble to help someone out like this and I have had that privilege in the past.

Way back when I was on The Basement forum, a very generous guy did a tutorial like this for me and judging by the style, it may have been your good self?

It was a metal flat and it went from this.

image.jpg

To this

image.jpg

It was a Fredericus-Rex 12 reg of foot. This was the best true flat I ever did back then and I have never forgotten the pleasure of painting it and what a huge help it was being shown how to do it.

If it was you, I hope you don't think bad of me for suddenly deserting the hobby back then in the way I did.
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that was me and of course I don't think bad of you, in fact just the opposite...... you're back! (y)

Roger
    Graham and napoleonpeart like this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    This is what the hobby and PF is all about ...nice once Roger

Get those paintbrushes swirling Graham

Nap
    Graham likes this.
  11. Graham A Fixture

England
    Cheers Rodger, I hope people like yourself and the others guys on forums like this who paint well and regularly but still take time to help, inspire and demonstrate the art realise how much it means to beginners to get such support because it really is appreciated.

Kevin, them brushes are already swirling lol
    billyturnip and napoleonpeart like this.
  12. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Graham, welcome back to figure painting, and to the planet. If you want to come along to the club meetings of our modeling club- the BMSS Northants branch- you would be more than welcome, we already have one member from Peterborough, and we meet on the first Tuesday of every month at the Wellingborough Bowls Club from 7'o clock.
    Best wishes, Gary.
  13. Graham A Fixture

England
    Thanks Gary, unfortunately due to caring responsibilities, getting out to clubs etc is a tad tricky to say the least. No idea what I would do if it wasn't for the Internet and forums like this:)
    garyhiggins likes this.
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Any questions or just fancy a chat Graham post away, myself and plenty of others here are only too pleased to help.

Roger.
    Graham and Tubby-Nuts2 like this.
  15. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Sorry for that Graham, obviously responsibilities come first but the offer is always there:). Meanwhile I fully agree with Roger. Hope to see you at figureworld.
    Best wishes, Gary.
    Graham likes this.
  16. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Welcome aboard Graham and nice work on the Sepp Dietrich flat . If you do manage to make it to Figure World be sure to drop by and say hi.

Cheers Ken
    Graham likes this.
  17. Graham A Fixture

England
    Will do Ken, be good to see you again. Quite fancy getting the Roza Shanina WWII Russian Female Sniper if you will have them at FW :)
    mil-mart likes this.
  18. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Graham, funny you should mention Roza Shanina as I've just finished her in a flat bust which will be released at FW. Stay tuned.(y)

Cheers Ken
    Graham likes this.
  19. Graham A Fixture

England
    Oooooo, intrigued now......... :)