1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hello from Michigan :)

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Bob Hud, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Bob Hud New Member

Hi all. I am Bob from Bay City, MI. Been a plastic modeler since youth, but now fretting into the miniatures. Have to so far...both Verlinden, 120mm, Civil War dude and a Napoleonic drummer. Just curious though...what is the most popular size? These seem good for me, but adding details that look realistic very difficult. Looking forward to learning as I go!
  2. swralph A Fixture

Hello Bob,welcome to planet figure.
    Cheers.
    Ralph.
    Bob Hud likes this.
  3. Sag997 Member

Greece
    Hello Bob and welcome to Planet Figure!!
    Most common sizes are 54mm, 75mm, 90mm and 120mm. I think that the most popular are 75 and 90mm, but you can find anything you want in most of the scales..
    Bob Hud likes this.
  4. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Welcome
    I tend to choose a subject, not a size . But at my age, I think 120mm is more appropriate now
    Best
    Bob Hud likes this.
  5. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Bob, and welcome to this house of contradictions! :ROFLMAO: .

I agree with 'Mirofsoft',. 120mm (ish). is a very good start point! as from there you can either both increase or decrease your preferred scale! However, do not be fooled into thinking larger or smaller, will be easier. Both will demand and present unforeseen challenges. this aspect is for you alone! to feel your way through ;) .. Work with what you are happy with, and enjoy your choice of scale and subject that's the key.:D

Regards,

Mark
    Bob Hud and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hi Bob and welcome to the Planet.:) At the moment, 75mm seems to be popular but really it's whatever you fancy anyway, you can always increase the magnification.
    Enjoy and best wishes, Gary.
    P.S. Personally, I favour 90mm.
    Bob Hud, Sag997 and napoleonpeart like this.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Bob,

Welcome to PF good to have you with us ..full figures I would say 75 is very popular closely followed by 120.....but for me (yes it was coming those that know me!).......busts are the thing , scales range from 1/12th upwards to the larger 300mm , also we have the half busts for want if a better name from a rather talented and very very prolific sculptor called Carl Reid .......

And do have a look at the even larger sculpts from Colin in Canada (user name crf...awesome) ..1/5th

But whatever you do just enjoy yourself and do feel free to ask anything and share your work

Nap
    Bob Hud and garyhiggins like this.
  8. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Bob,

Welcome to PF. "Size does matter" despite what these guys tell you. :)

Just kidding, there's a little something for everyone 28MM-200MM. It just depends what you like.

Lot's of good painters in MI. Wendy and Dave at Last Cav come to mind. There's a show in Chicago in October. One of the biggest in the country. You should try and make it.

Welcome again!

Mike
    Bob Hud likes this.
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Bob,

Welcome to Planet Figure. I hope you get a lot out of your stay with us.
    Bob Hud likes this.
  10. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Bob,
    Welcome aboard from across the pond, enjoy your time on here(y).
    cheers
    Richie
    Bob Hud likes this.
  11. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Howdy Bob, and welcome to the Planet (y)!

Joe
    Bob Hud likes this.
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Hi Bob. Pleased to meet you and enjoy the site. Given you are in Michigan, are you a Chicago show attendee?

Colin
    Bob Hud likes this.
  13. Bob Hud New Member

Right now Colin, no...but in the future, most likely. if I can ever learn how to glue properly :)
    crf likes this.
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Gluing is a good skill to have in this hobby. Good luck. :)

Colin
  15. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    BTW Bob, about 40 years ago, a mate moved to Michigan, now I know that Michigan is a big place but if you see him tell him to get in touch. his name's Steve Van Dongen and he moved to Alpena.
    Bob Hud likes this.
  16. samson Well-Known Member

United-States
    hi bob this is bob from Cleveland welcome you will become addicted soon this is a great site
    Bob Hud likes this.
  17. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Bob,
    Akron,Cleveland Ohio here..........Me thinks you will like this group......Great people from around the world with a common interest.......Enjoy............Wayne
    Bob Hud likes this.