1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hello from Maine

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Jim Barry, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Jim Barry Member

Hello,
    Just getting into this hobby niche with a 120mm figure I've been working on over the past few months. I originally started him much larger (200mm), but it was too ambitious and so I restarted after a few months off and this time at a conventional scale that allows me to accessorize him with aftermarket parts. No way can I make a gun or a gas canister (yet anyway) IMG_1932.JPG
    Mike Stevens and Mat Lambert like this.
  2. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Hey Jim. Welcome to a great forum.

Steve
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Jim,

Big welcome to PF enjoy your modelling

Lots of folk that are only too willing to help

Nap
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Welcome Jim!

Could you describe your modeling and painting process a bit? How much of your figure did you sculpt? What media did you use? What paint?

All the best,
    Dan
  5. Jim Barry Member

Hi Dan, Thanks for the welcome. Sure, here's the low down (I was exhausted last night to go into much more)

So, I started with a skeleton of sorts to give all his arms and legs and back strength while I build the details around it. This was made of Super Sculpey (no wire) and baked to harden. I then built and shaped all his details, and his head and face, again with super sculpey grey. Then I baked him again, added a few more details and did a final bake. I added the aftermarket Verlinden weapons, the gas mask canister, the canteen, the lunchbox, the bread bag and the blanket on his back. I did make the MP44 ammo pouches on the front which was probably more work than necessary. They make them but I did not have them. Now that the are done, I'm kind of proud and they do look cool. After sanding and more fine tuning, I sprayed him with Tamiya flat primer white and then mostly did his colors in Testor's Modelmaster acrylics. At one point late in the finishing I intentionally sawed both his arms off and redid their pose as I did not like how he was holding things. I also made a total of 6 hands until I was happy. I use super glue gel at times or during the baking process I use the sculpey glue (that requires heat).
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Your MP44 pouches look fine. Suggestion for next time - make just one and cast two. Pretty obvious, but I didn't think about it until I had several different types, shapes and sizes of horse saddles, bags, and so forth to make and needed to make sure each type looked exactly the same.

Do you have any reference books on figure-making? I initially followed Bill Horan's Military Modelling Masterclass and that helped a lot. Tried others, but kept coming back to it. He used (uses?) Kneadatite two part air-drying putty (I think.) and I started with that. I now prefer a mix of Kneadatite and MagicSculpt two part putties. I'm not saying you should not use Super Sculpey grey - you can get great results from that product. Just offering possible alternatives.

May I offer two suggestions?

1. Work on making your folds and drapery more crisp and angular. Here's an online tutorial that I've studied http://www.cheeseman-meyer.com/techniques/drapery1.html Very good but oriented toward drawing, not sculpting. Here's one that is done by a sculptor. https://www.uartsy.com/course/sculpting-dynamic-drapery. After studying the subject and taking courses, etc., I'm personally still no where nearly good enough at doing drapery. What tools are you using to make folds and creases? I use a really cheap set of metal putty sculpting tools for most of my 1/16th scale figures. If you work in a smaller scale, the metal tools probably wouldn't work. In smaller scales you could use tooth picks or little tools you make yourself from scrap plastic.

2. Find Gary's Sculpting 101 Step by Step series online here at PF and take a look through that. Really good course!

Keep at it!

All the best,
    Dan
  7. Jim Barry Member

Thanks! Lots to learn. I learned from one master sculptor that the biggest challenge is the folds. (I then ordered a book by Hogarth on folds but have not been as good a student as I planned on being) . I'll check out the cheeseman-meyer link. Thanks! Since I was not working from a model or picture, I had to make them up in my mind. I use this micro screwdriver with dullish edges, that I've come to love but need something a little smaller for this scale. Tools and materials are sure to improve and I've got an order of Magic Sculpt on the way. I hear that both can work together.

I saw Gary's Sculpting 101. That was great! (and a reason why I feel this site is what I need)
  8. Jim Barry Member

Oh, cool. I found the Bill Horan book on my Scribd digital reading service. Wow!
    Mat Lambert likes this.
  9. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Howdy Jim, and welcome to the Planet (y)!

Joe
  10. Range Rat Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Welcome to PF...
  11. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jim and welcome.
    Your figure is an impressive start into the hobby - when the first glanced the photo of your model it bought you has painted up s stock figure, so you doing something right. Keep on going and look forward to seeing more.
    Cheers
    Mat
  12. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Hi there Jim, welcome to the Planet. So, you're from the land of the great Stephen King. I'm a big fan. That's a good start of a figure there considering you have sculpted it from scratch. Keep at it. You will only get better with more practice. There are loads of tips on this site to make you improve, and its all free advice.
  13. Jim Barry Member

[IMG]

It's really good advice, yes, Jazz. I've already taken to it and love it. Makes me work harder and that can only be a good thing as I develop.

Stephen King grew up in Durham which is the next door town . There is an old mansion right out the Victorian age called "Shiloh" and it is known to have impressed young Stephen (it impressed me too). Once the home to an evangelical cult waiting for the second coming of Christ. They were known to do creepy things like putting a dead baby in a corner tower (see picture) all winter in hopes it would "come back". Pet Cemetery, right there. "Gage!!!" Kids for generations kept a weary eye on that place . The graveyard inspiration for Salem's Lot is not far and that's fun to visit.
    Jazz likes this.
  14. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Welcome
    This place could be creepy to, sometime .
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Welcome to Planet Figure