1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hello from a new member

Discussion in 'Welcome aboard' started by Kseven, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Kseven New Member

Hello all,

Have been building and painting a number of figure kits for the last 2 years, with no great skill but plenty of enthusiasm. I came to the hobby late in life at the age of 58, due to losing my job of 32 years in the NHS following a nervous breakdown. My councillor at the time recommended that I find a hobby as a mindfulness excercise to try to stop me worrying and I had ordered my first bust within a couple of days. I have since worked on busts and full figures in a number of scales, usually larger ones. I hope to be able to upload some pics soon. Apologies in advance to any who strive for exact historical accuracy in your figures, I have looked at your posts here and elsewhere and they have left me in awe but I have neither the skills or desire to do the meticulous research required to achieve this, so my figure painting tends to be more a case of getting the feel of a figure right for me rather than historically correct. As well as some historical type work from rp models/mmm/stormtroopers I have also dabbled in some fantasy orientated stuff from the likes of black crow/black sun and others.

Will hopefully be posting some wip soon pending decent pics and working out how to upload.

Thanks to everyone who posts here, I have often looked to you for inspiration over the last couple of years.

Kseven
  2. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Hi Kseven,

You’re very welcome here, & looking forward to seeing some of your work here soon. There’s a lot of people here with great skills & knowledge, & they don’t mind sharing or providing encouragement at all, so feel free to ask anything you want.

Just sit back, enjoy & dive in when you feel comfortable.

Cheers,
    Chris.
    Nap and Kseven like this.
  3. Kseven New Member

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the kind welcome and encouragement

Kseven
    Nap and Chris Oldfield like this.
  4. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Kseven and welcome aboard.

First off - enthusiasm is not only a great place to start but an essential ingredient. The skill part just comes with practice, practice and more practice, so don't worry about that.

As for this historical accuracy side of things, some guys enjoy the research and the attention to detail - and that's fine, nothing wrong with that. But the main thing is to just paint first and foremost for yourself. Because when it comes to wielding the brushes, neither striving for total accuracy nor not bothering about it at all will make you a better or worse painter. There is no right or wrong approach, as long as you're enjoying yourself.

I've checked out the photos you're posted up elsewhere. You'll find plenty of "how to" type threads here and on the wider internet from better painters than me. But allow me if I may to make a few basic suggestions that you might find helpful.

1) Not sure what sort of paints you're using but whatever they are, try to apply your paint in thin coats. Two (or more) thinner coast are better than one thick one. Thin your paints with whatever medium is suitable for the type of paint you're using.

2) If you're using acrylics or enamels, make sure they're very well shaken / stirred before use. This will help avoid the unwanted glossy finish you seem to be getting on some of your models. Oil paints tend to have a more satin or gloss finish anyway, so allowing the carrier oil to leech out before use is a good way of mitigating this. Just put the paint onto a piece of card then leave it to stand for an hour or so before use.

3) To get nice smooth highlights and shadows with natural transitions, try blending the base colour with darker and lighter colours to get lighter and darker shades of the base. Rather than (just for example) a neat "dark brown" on top of a neat "light brown" to get shades. Otherwise it just looks like what it is: Two completely different colours, with no shading or highlighting effect.

Just have fun playing around with the colours and experimenting, and the more you practice the more you'll find things falling into place.

- Steve
    Kseven, Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there K7

BIG WELCOME to PF

Thank you for the intro post ...all figures are welcome

Great to have you with us and see you posting

Reckon Steve ( Babelfish ) has got great advice in his post ...but do not be worried about asking anything ..not matter how small ......I do !!

Just have fun and enjoy the benchtime

Nap
    Kseven and Chris Oldfield like this.
  6. Kseven New Member

Thanks v much
    Nap likes this.