1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Hellboy 45mm - (the Tentacles Of Doom!)

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by arxo, Nov 30, 2012.

1. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Well that was bitter - sweet !

I purchased this beautiful Hellboy 45mm mini from PF member bilibov (http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/hellboy-45mm.47182/) a few months ago to give to a friend (a huge fan of Mignola's Hellboy comic book character) as a gift. First of all let me tell you that I highly recommend Alex's work and that he corresponded with me via email immediately , was very helpful reassuring me of his product and for all other information I needed (tracking numbers etc). So, Thank you Alex, hope you like what I did with him !

The bitter part was that this is indeed a mini from Hell. The first time and having applied the basecoat and first light/shadow, it took a dive to the floor and got himself amputated from the ancle down (you can read my sad story here : http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/no-no-no-no.52242/). Then, after nearly finishing him, I applied that much pressure trying to unpin him from a cork that I used, resulting to the left foot in need of being glued again. And at the end of it all, when the base was ready and the water had hardened, and he was standing proud and tall, a few drops of the synthetic water found their way to the bottom of the base thus stucking it to the plastic surface I used to leave it on and the result was a complete flip in the air with a crack in one of the tentacles!

But the sweet part was all the rest. Hellboy ! Tentacles (for someone that has never before used putty, following this excellent SBS : http://tutofig.com/2012/03/sculpting-octopus-like-tentacles/ it proved easy enough) !!! Swamp water !!! (well that's how it ended at least - a few drops more of acrylic paint and voila! no clean sea-water, but swamp!!), Runes (http://hellboy.wikibruce.com/Runes)!! Hellboy! Tentacles ! Hellboy !!! (well you get the idea...;-p )

The story behind it is that it was always meant to be a gift. Simple wooden base, him on it. But then my friend (he is an illustrator) started talking about tentacles and water etc and him wanting to create the base himself and even created a doodle of how he pictured it (you can see it below). But as the days went by, and you know you can't really rush an artist, I took matters in my own hands and now he is in for a surprise.

You can see also some of the SBS below.
    All done with acrylics and real rocks.

Thank you for reading and as always all comments are welcome.

IMG_7756.jpg IMG_7757.jpg IMG_7766.jpg IMG_7767.jpg IMG_7768.jpg IMG_7755.jpg IMG_7321.jpg IMG_7322.jpg IMG_7323.jpg IMG_7324.jpg IMG_7327.jpg IMG_7328.jpg IMG_7329.jpg 173247916886865472_z0SaslGl_c.jpg
    ubbi, Silversurfer, crf and 2 others like this.
  2. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    Interesting...
  3. T-34/85 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    I like the way you pulled this off. Great scenery and the painting is top notch.
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    Really good job on this I think you've done this and your friend proud.

Steve
  5. arxo Active Member

Greece
    Thank you all very much!