1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Hellbeard's sculpting journal

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Hellbeard, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Hellbeard New Member

Israel
    Hi,
    I've been wanting to post a thread here and get more activity on these forums. I'll update this thread every once in a while with pictures of my ongoing work and I appreciate critique and feedback very much. I find it is most helpful in progressing as an artist. Here are some recent works, all 1:56 scale unless specified otherwise:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    (still need to finish this one, sigh)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    No-scale, just a weird project for no reason.

[IMG]
    One of myriad practice head sculpts

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    No scale. Style sketch/study

[IMG]

[IMG]
    A painted test cast of a figure

[IMG]

If anyone wants this is my portfolio website where you can see also some illustration work and stuff as well as sculptures:

http://nadavigra.wix.com/igra

My Tumblr with even more various stuff:

http://nadav-igra.tumblr.com/
    gforceman, garyhiggins, crf and 3 others like this.
  2. Hellbeard New Member

Israel
    Here's what I'm working on right now, a 1:56 science fiction figure.

[IMG]

[IMG]

And a recent head practice:

[IMG]
  3. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    look just like my sculpting bench just neater as I work on the floor
  4. Hellbeard New Member

Israel
    That's gotta be messy!
    I never thought someone would call my workspace "neat".

Progress update:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Jamie Stokes likes this.
  5. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Some really nice work going on there, good character studies.

One thing that caught my eye is the hand gesture on the kneeling figure here..... if it's an NCO giving direction with advancing troops, it would seem more logical (to me, at least) to have the hand vertical, rather than horizontal (which can be a lay down/ take cover kind of gesture)

Apart from that, neat sculpting and in a very tiny scale!! What putty are you using?

Cheers

Jamie

Attached Files:

6. Hellbeard New Member

Israel

Thanks!
    Good critique on that. I was imagining him as just sort of describing where stuff was to someone by his side. Giving hand-signals is a better action oriented pose.
    I am using mostly Kraftmark ProCreate recently.
  7. Hellbeard New Member

Israel
    Here's another update:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

For scale:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Eludia likes this.
  8. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looks good, reminds me of a neuromancer /shadowrun style of figure, quite good.
    Drapery is good.
    Figure is well balanced for firing.

Good for this scale!!

Cheers

Attached Files:

• url.jpg
      url.jpg
      File size:
      3.6 MB
      Views:
  9. Hellbeard New Member

Israel

Thank you very much! I appreciate your thoughtful critique. It's super important to me to read how folks perceive the work; it is one of, if not the, most important things that contribute to improving the "craft".
    I was very much so aiming for a cyberpunk retro-futuristic look so it's especially pleasing to read that you see that in it, chummer. :)
  10. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Hello Hellbeard, these are not my genre, and i can't even see that small let alone model it, but I think they're great, nicely sculpted and full of action and character. So, very well done.
    Best wishes, Gary:).
  11. Hellbeard New Member

Israel
    That's very kind of you to write! Thank you so much.

Bootstrapping myself out of a rut.

Here we go again. o_.
    New sculpts underway! 1:56 scale, science fiction theme. Trying to pick up some steam again.
    [IMG]
    This goan be an alien invader guy, barely passable for human. Inspiration: "They Live!"
    [IMG]
    This is an astronaut infected by alien stuff. Like, maybe totally ancient and stuff.
    [IMG]
    This'll be a brain slug controlled guy.
    [IMG]
    Group photo.
    garyhiggins likes this.
  12. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice sculpting, especially on such a small scale (y)

My only criticism would be the berets look a bit odd, they're all a bit high and tight if you know what I mean (as if they're several sizes too small). From experience (22 years of wearing one), the band should sit about an inch above the brow line (in 1:1 scale), any higher and there isn't enough head/beret interface to hold it on and it'll blow off in the slightest wind or sudden movement. Sounds a bit pedantic I know, but to me (and probably to any military guys/gals) it just doesn't look right. Admittedly the French like to wear their berets high and tight like this but I reckon they must be glued/nailed on ;)
  13. Hellbeard New Member

Israel
    Haha! Thanks, good feedback there. I guess I was just drawing from my own experience having an absurdly large hat size and my Beret would usually sit like that. Granted we'd only wear them for ceremonies and such. I've just recently been promoted to the rank of Master Sergeant(IDF res.). That's besides the point but I just like the sound of it. I guess you might consider me a military guy or gal too. *high five*
    Eludia likes this.
  14. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Congrats on the promotion (ring the bell) ;)
  15. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Wow that's indeed some great stuff. I really envy people who can sculpt at this scale...so many details, so little putty.

Xenofon
    garyhiggins likes this.
  16. Hellbeard New Member

Israel
    I'm guessing this one of your military customs? Ding.
    I just noticed the change on the form by chance. There isn't much significance for the rank in terms of my position but it's nice to get.

Thanks! I use a strong light, magnifying visors and hold my breath often. There isn't magic to it, if you want you could do it too. I think it's beneficial to practice various scales because some lessons and practices can translate in interesting fashion. For example, in smaller scales like 1:100 you have to consider readability versus realistic depiction and think about how some sculptural details can be more illustration-like than naturalistic. In larger scales you can learn some things about details that you might want to shoe in the smaller stuff because they give character or interest that you wouldn't have considered otherwise.

Here's a bit of progress:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    garyhiggins and Kisifer like this.
  17. Hellbeard New Member

Israel
    Here's an update. The proportions on the arm for the brain-parasite guy are way off. I hope if I lop off the arm and reattach it shorter it'll help fix it somewhat. Probably also bring up the shoulder a notch.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  18. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Congratulations!!!
    That is some really weird stuff!! well sculpted in a tiny scale!!

as an observation, the current sculpts have been balanced in their postures and poses. (mostly) I look forward to when you do some more dynamic stuff (running/ charging) because you are really showing some potential, plus the ability to critique some aspects of your work.

Cheers

Jamie