1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Head sculpt

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by garyjd, Dec 19, 2008.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    While I'm finishing up some of the projects on my Vbench I decided to shake off some rust (have not sculpted in some time) with a headsculpt in Sculpey. The head is 1/6 or a bit smaller. I have to finish the eyes yet and the proportions need a little tweeking. After these I have another sculpting project to attend to. ~Gary

Attached Files:

Steve and crf like this.
  2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Honestly Gary, I'm not sure if I'm Abe-l to comment.........HA, just kiddin'. Nice work! Love the more unfinished, artistic aproach here. and a really nice likeness.

I assume this is Honest Abe?

Jay H.
    OKc
  3. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Gary,
    I'm with jay. It does not look like you lost your touch any. Great looking.
    Would make a nice bronze?
    Cheers.
    John
  4. honeycut Member

Australia
    Hi Gary
    This is great! I picked it as Abe also... Are we right?
    Brad
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jay, John, and Brad,

YES, you are right. I have been wanting to do Lincoln for years, though I'm not sure to what level I'm going to complete this. I prefer the beardless Abe verses the bearded version. I'll probably add the beard after I bake the head. It sure feels nice to be pushing Sculpey around again. ~Gary
  6. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent start!!! :)
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great beginning, Gary! Good likeness!!

All the best,
    Dan
  8. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Great start. Would love to see more

Stephen Mallia
  9. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Wow! great likeness so far Gary. Glad to see you mashing clay around again.
  10. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent start on Abraham Lincoln.
    I see that you can push putty like you never stopped.

marc
  11. Squeakyclean Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary this is superb. Let's see some more!

Matt
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks again. I hope to have Abe a little more refined looking in a couple days. ~Gary
  13. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    he's back!

nice to see you pushing clay again mate. good stuff!

all the best ---- tim :)
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Heh Gary - Why did you stop? For how long? I have been out of the hobby for two years and infrequently check this site out (but its my only contact as I don't even buy MM anymore).

I keep thinking about picking up the tools and sculpey again. I've had big motivation problems due to work stress and illness in the family - any pointers on getting back in? When I do pick up a blob of bust raw material and a tool I turn out popeye-like creatures. I'm probably not relaxed enough and I give up too quickly.

Great Abe BTW!

Colin
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Colin, I guess it was a combination of factors. My sculpting slump really took a turn once I started painting flat artwork that pretty much did it.

If you're in a slump, try a project that really inspires you. You may even try to sculpt a subject that is something you typically would not do. You might find inspiration in a book, movie, or even piece of music. Unfortunately there is not one cure all. I would also suggest that you do something simple and not a piece that overwhelms you technically. ~Gary
  16. MattS Active Member

United-States
    Glad to see you back at it, Gary. The sculpt is looking good. Do you plan on making this a full bust or are you just sculpting the head?
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States

Matt,

Thanks. I'm not sure yet. I had a featureless head laying around so I took advantage of having a ready made foundation. ~Gary
  18. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    personally i get where you're from there Gary, i have the occasional lax period and find that a change is as good as a rest. drawing is a good rest period i find. some times its about confidence too. nought wrong with you any these mate. nice to see you on the CH too; i find the critiques there a real help and the 'Jams' are a nice informal way to try new avenues.
    keep pushing clay gary!

all the best and merry christmas --- Tim :)
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the Abe sculpt cleaned up. As much as I liked the hair and skin rendered loosely it probably would not look great with paint on it. I did try to keep the skin on the rough side as well as his hair. I added a little Sculpey Diluent to soften the Sculpey when I started fleshing him out. It did soften it, but it did have a downside. When I was sculpting the hair I felt as if I was sculpting hair out of butter using a hot knife. After the head is done baking I'll then go in with fine steel wool to clean it up. The lower eyelids, ears, and nose will be be finished following a couple of sessions in the oven. Below you'll find the link to an interesting read regarding Abe's face.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Abraham-Lincoln-Had-a-Lopsided-Face-And-Strabismus-62674.shtml

Oh yeah, I have to do the beard yet too.

Attached Files:

20. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    That's pretty cool. The likeness is awesome

Stephen Mallia