1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Head sculpt

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by LCoote, Apr 9, 2005.

1. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Hey guys, been pushing a little putty tonight.

I did the armature a while back, last year sometime, but I hadn't decided what I'd use it for. I'm a bit out of practice but decided to do this head sculpt.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. LCoote New Member

Australia
    After an initial application of putty, it's lookin pretty ugly :(

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Ok, a little bit of carving and the second application of putty, lookin something like what it's supposed to.
    Time now for some carving and refining.
    About 2 hours work so far on this figure.
    Hope to have some more pics soon with the finished head.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  3. Uhrin New Member

Hungary
    It's look good Leigh! What size of this figurine?

Zsolt
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leigh, Great to see you posting some new stuff. Maybe you could do a simple figure study wearing just a uniform and maybe a bit of gear. Check out Jason Whitman's union soldier study. It a simple, yet very inspiring piece.~Gary
  5. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Thanks Zsolt, size is 1/16 or 110mm

Thanks Gary, yeah I think this will be something simple.

Here's the finished head
    [IMG]
  6. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Nice job Leigh.

-jim cox
  7. Manfred Active Member

I like your very realistic heads ! (y)
  8. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Jim, Manfred, Thanks for your comments!
    I don't think I like this one much , I usually try to keep my heads youthful looking but I think it looks boring, maybe I'll redo it, thanks anyway fellas.
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leigh, I think it's a great face. It has a very natural look about it. A piece of headgear and or hair would add quite a bit to it.~Gary
  10. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Well Guys, here are a few updated pics of this figure. I need to do the hands next, I find them the trickiest part of the figure.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  11. LCoote New Member

Australia
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leigh, The update was worth the wait. What a great face. You've managed to put a loy of life there.~Gary
  13. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Looks great so far Leigh! Looking forward to more updates.

Jason
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great job on the face, ball cap and boots! The face has a natural, very determined and noble look. ;)

Some year I'm going to have to try sculpting faces myself.... :(

Leigh - Where's this heading? What's 'e gonna be?

all the best,
    Dan
  15. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great Work Leigh! Awesome to see you back at it again!
  16. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Thanks Fella's, I appreciate your comments, the life of any figure is in the face so I hope this one works.
    Dan, he's gonna be another German, this time an SS tank crewman summer 1943 wearing the one piece camo overalls. I needed to do something basic and straight forward that I'm comfortable with, so my apologies to everyone who hates to see another WW2 German figure, I'm afraid WW2 is my period.
    And Dan, you know what they say" Just Do It " ;) I'm sure you'll find sculpting faces not nearly as difficult as you think.
  17. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Well guys, a little more progress, nothing doing with the hands but I added some basic drapey to the legs, still needs some work though.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent stuff, Leigh, I really like it! And no, I'd never say there were too many WW2 figures, just not enough WW1 figures! That's my particular mania. Let me know what you think about the facial modifications on Khudadad Khan. Starting with a 120mm head bought on e-Bay with a bunch of spare parts [No idea who made it!], I made some changes that (i think??!!) make it a fair likeness of him.

all the best,
    Dan
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Great work Leigh............I like the way he is turning out.
  20. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Thanks Dan , Thanks Guy, always appreciate your comments.

Dan I agree with you about the WW1 figures, it's a very neglected period, I'm not sure why, there are a lot of possibilities there.
    In fact I really want to do a couple of figs from the period, a US Marine at Belleau Wood or something similar, I just have to come up with a decent pose, the other would be an Australian Light Horse in full flight during the charge at Bersheba, I think that one will have to wait because it would mean scratchbuilding a horse and tack in 120mm, maybe one day.