1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Having a go..at Sgt Major Edwards Scots Fusilier Guards 1854

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Ventress, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Am having a go at a bust about 1/10th on wire skelton and using magic sculp and Duro oh and Milliput fine.

Been using tutorials from You tube and have a basic head and body, ready for the detail. Have made badges of rank and medals so far also.

Will try and post pictures for critique.

Getting used to the differing properties of each putty.
  2. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    [IMG]

I am basing on this fine gentleman.
    Steve likes this.
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking forward to watching Rob (y)
  4. nickk panther Member

United-Kingdom
    hope to pics very soon cheers nick
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Rob ,
    Great subject love the medals and the rank , really looking forward to seeing these and the sculpt progress .

Certainly a subject that I woudl like to paint ...what a character .

I have lots of references on the Crimea so please do ask if you need anything .

Kepp sculpting and posting
  6. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Probably only of interest to me, but it is noteworthy that a man with such a fine Welsh surname as Edwards has dedicated himself to a Scottish regiment.
  7. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Do you have decent pictures of epaulettes and collar badges, I have a good idea but would like photographic evidence or such like.

Please don't expect too much gents, I am a virgin sculptor!
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Rob ,
    Yes I do have something if you pm me your e mail I will sort something out for you ....really intersted in how you are going about with this as it "was" a potential subject for Campaign Miniatures !!!!

Keep sculpting Rob

Nap
  9. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Rob ,
    I can see where you are coming from but the pictures are blurred , as a start the rank is 4 cheverons with a royal cypher embosed over .

Bit of details for you possibly to help:

In 1852 Sgt-Major Edwards was appointed by the Queen to act as drill instructor to the Prince of Wales, aged 11 and Prince Alfred aged 8. When he left for the Crimea, they presented him with the cane he carries in the photo. After the war the Guards made a triumphal march back to Buckingham Palace on 9th July 1856. Flowers were thrown at them and the soldiers attached them to their fixed bayonets. Sergeant-major Edwards marched at the front of the regiment carrying a bouquet of roses.

In this photograph by Cundall, Sergeant-Major Edwards of the 1st Battalion Scots Fusilier Guards is wearing his new tunic. This is the first pattern which lasted a year. The same man can be seen, without his beard, in the second pattern tunic as Sergeant-Major and Drill Sergeant 1862. The heavily embroidered and padded coat-of-arms badge is superimposed on four gold chevrons on each arm. His collar and cuffs are also well covered with gold lace. The blue shoulder straps are not easily visible but he would have a silver star badge on them. His collar hidden by his beard has a silver embroidered thistle badge similar that that worn by officers.
    His sword is hung from a waistbelt and seems to be pulling it down too much. Later tunics would have a hidden hook sewn into the material to support the belt under his left arm. His crimson sash is now over his right shoulder instead of round the waist. The three medals are the Crimea Medal with four clasps, flanked by the Turkish Crimea medal and the French Medal Militaire. He also has white gloves and a cane of office.

Regards

Nap
  11. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Cheers nap, just realised the four chevrons! Arrgh! Thought it was going so well!
  12. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    [IMG]

The chevrons are ditched and will be done again later.
  13. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Apologies for photos- its the best Ive got- you will have to use your imagination!
  14. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    [IMG]

Finding out, more is less and little and often is best, the magic sculpt is a new material for me after years of green stuff. Again apologies for very poor pictures but its the best I have!

Next stage body- gulp!
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Rob ,
    I will get the details to you asap that you asked for in the pm , I have been researching this gentleman and found this picture ..without the beard ..might help when doing the face ?

The man on the right is Sergeant-Major Edmunds(Edwards) who is the subject of Sergeant-Major 1856. Here, he is without his beard, and in the single-breasted tunic that replaced the first pattern. His ranks badges are still the same and he has large cuff flaps to accommodate the extra gold lace that surrounds the three buttons. There is also a double row of gold lace around the top of the blue cuff. His collar is well covered with gold lace and has a silver thistle badge embroidered on it. The drill sergeant on the left has a star badge on his gold collar and no lace around the cuff flap. They both have white leather waist-belts with swords attached.

He also has another medal on the right , and its interesting the way the 2 figures have their medals mounted differently.

Mighty tempted to work on something very similar with Jimbo !!!!

Nap

Attached Files:

16. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Thanks, Kev, I have got the figure to the base level, i.e. body and head, will get some photos on asap, thanks for the information.
  17. Don Well-Known Member

Could it be that Mister Edwards is actually a Regimental Sergeant Major as he has the four stripes, could this be before the RSF adapted the modernish RSMs badge.
    I would also say that the Sergeant on the left is a Colour Sergeant.
    I may be wrong but just thought about it. Let me know what you think please.
    Whatever he is named as its a wonderful photo and I am sure you will make a wonderful sculpt.

Don
  18. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    Mr Edwards is the RSM Scots Fuslier Guards- later to be Scots Guards and chap next to him is a CSgt.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Rob ,
    Here are some images I have hope they are of some use , the collar lacework was a heavy bullion type , embossed over with a thistle as worn by officers .

I have included a group of 3 medals , the one on the right is I think the one shown on the right in the picture is what Mr Edwards is wearing .

The single medal is the Turkish Crimean medal

The other group shows the French Medaille Militaire (Yellow and Green ribbon) on the left with the Q V Long Service and Good Conduct medal ..one that he surely must have had , next to that is the Turkish Crimean medal.

Regards

Nap

Attached Files:

Ventress likes this.
  20. Ventress Well-Known Member

England
    A good Guards RSM would have lost his LS&GC early on in his career!