1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Have a go!

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Dawid, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Dawid Member

South-Africa
    My first figure I finished I well over 20 years.
    I’m quite happy with my rusty fingers and failing eyesight.
    I know it is not nearly the quality of the paintwork featured in your forum so please help.
    I find whites very difficult as well as diluting paint and to be able to blend effectively as paint dries very fast.

1D12818F-3B6F-4DC2-94CB-FDA85705CC1B.jpeg 726CA094-BC15-4455-82FA-B03C0FD541D0.jpeg AF01A3A2-2E10-4754-86E7-790F7D89B23F.jpeg ACC07330-1644-4EAA-BC96-063D8EE4A3C4.jpeg CB031AF4-F1B9-4E04-B44E-E152FB81AED0.jpeg F8D9BCBE-BDFA-4385-90D4-A8C1702B535C.jpeg 1956822A-B373-41B0-90DD-A29DD708A856.jpeg
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice one Dawid :)

Everyone finds whites difficult so you are not alone. I've found that the colours need to be almost transparent and look like water when you first apply them to be subtle enough; as they dry they darken and become visible. If you can see the colour difference when you apply them they will probably dry too dark. You can try adding a spot of Vallejo 'glaze' medium which slows the drying time a bit or use acrylics as an undercoat and then use oils for your painting (which a lot of top painters do very effectively)

You obviously know how to swing a brush so keep working at it and it will get easier. (y)

Cheers
    Paul
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Nicely painted.

Marc
  4. Dawid Member

South-Africa
    Hi
    Thanks for the advice. Will have to work on my patience
  5. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think your figure looks fine and picking a fantasy type subject allows you to please yourself with colours etc so these are great to practice on until you are happy with the results and if you get stuck there is always plenty of help on PF.
    Terry
  6. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I would say you have done an excellent job considering you haven't painted for 20 years.

Cheers
    Steve
  7. Dawid Member

South-Africa
    Thanks Marc
  8. Dawid Member

South-Africa
    Thanks Terry. I know what buttons to push!
  9. Dawid Member

South-Africa
    Thanks Steve. It means a lot to me
    1969 likes this.
  10. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    It is a great comeback so keep on trucking and fantasy is good:D
    Cheers
    John