1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Has PF become boring?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Wayneb, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I don't know what it is, but other then viewing the works of others and the repetitious complements ; has PF become boring? Is it because of no more ruffling feathers with honest critique for fear of getting moderated? Or have we become so sensitive in general to speak our mind of how we really feel.? I must state that these are my personal thoughts and wonder if someone else has a differing opinion.
    Keep it friendly....What do you think.?

Wayne
    winfield, swralph, DEL and 2 others like this.
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Enjoy it for what it is Wayne. Lovely pieces from some of the best, constant updates on what is new in the market, helpful advice on almost any associated subject for newcomers and experts alike, what more could you want?

Be honest, you would miss it if it wasn't there!?

Keith
    MCPWilk, housecarl, Huw63 and 6 others like this.
  3. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    pmfs, Blind Pew, Joe55 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Wayne

A interesting question ...it's the members that make PF and as for "fear of getting moderated" ....I am sorry you feel that way but it certainly doesn't happen with me ...it difficult .

Compliments ...so much great work here of course but so much to learn as well , new members both to PF and the hobby contribute and are helped by so many to enjoy the hobby ...no matter what you have on the bench

Let me ask you questions

.........how would you make it less like your opinion of boring ?

..what can we do to improve ?

...what can we add/ or even reduce ?

ALL ideas and suggestions are welcome by PM or as another thread

Nap
    pmfs, Blind Pew, Chrisr and 4 others like this.
  5. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Don't reverse the question Nap.....................
  6. Nap Moderator

England

Not reversing it at all ..just asking how you think we could improve ...all suggestions are welcome by anyone

No forum is perfect and continually evolves as PF should

Answering your specific question ...has PF become boring .....NO

Nap
    Jazz and Chrisr like this.
  7. mick3272 A Fixture

I wouldn't say it is getting boring.
    It still has all the help and Info it always had.
    But I do miss the rep ar tee of Ron & Del when they got going.
    And the cut and thrust that Paul ( Peedee) bought to the forum.
    But things never stay the same.
    Mick
    MCPWilk, Huw63 and DEL like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England

Certainly agree about the repartee and cut and thrust they would of course be very welcome back !

Nap
    Jazz, DEL and Martin Rohmann like this.
  9. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    As a recent returned having been absent for a couple of years I felt the dynamics had changed somewhat when I first browsed through the various pages. Certainly not boring though and I soon realised that the shift was just progress and general comings and goings, just as in real life. Martin still doing his history lessons in work in progress, Nap still doing his reviews and encouragement from all directions. And if anybody no longer here, well they clearly have their reasons and maybr, like me, they will come back in the future.
    Huw63, Joe55, DEL and 1 other person like this.
  10. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Looks like the time is right for the return of Bertorelli Enterprises.
    As ever the plan is to offer the membership services that meet the range of needs, desires and wishes of our planet community.
    As a responsible entrepreneur I take safety very seriously and as the bulk of the membership for some reason are against the use of animals and orphans to test products I relied on the use of Crash Test Ronnie.
    Having disappeared for a while, Crash Test Ronnie has resurfaced under a new identity. His new job has allowed for a planned enterprise to raise its level of service to you the customer. Whilst he might be reluctant to participate I'm sure that the threat of public disclosure will have its usual result :D
    As a bit of a teaser this particular project has been in preparation for a while and has made use of unemployed immigrants, the homeless and has made a contribution to keeping our small high street shops in business.
    The second business is a whole new take on modelling which is bound to offend many, including modellers and painters as well as manufacturers and recasters.
    I've checked out the legal position and I'm on safe ground :D
    More to follow next week.
    Cheers
    DEL
    housecarl, Huw63, Joe55 and 4 others like this.
  11. mick3272 A Fixture

For what we are about to receive in reply may the lord make us truly thankful
    Mick
    Huw63, Joe55, DEL and 1 other person like this.
  12. Helm A Fixture

England
    Are you marketing Brian's third hand again Del ?
    Huw63 likes this.
  13. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    ......do you mean his extra thumb?.......if he had a third hand it doesn't bear thinking what he would do with it.
    Huw63, brian, Helm and 1 other person like this.
  14. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Boring? No.

Is there a lack of constructive criticism? I don't think so. And I don't think people refrain from offering constructive criticism, because they are afraid of "being moderated." Constructive criticism doesn't get moderated. Ad hominem attacks do, and perhaps there is less of that right now, and less drama and grenade-throwing, than there has been in the past. Those things run in cycles, and are also very dependent on the personalities of the people involved. Perhaps we're a little low right now on folks who have trouble keeping themselves to constructive criticism and opinions delivered objectively.

Prost!
    Brad
  15. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I darn near look in on a daily basis. That don't mean I necessarily log in, but I do poke around like I said almost daily.

So my personal opinion is..........nope, it ain't boring! ;)

Joe
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Well, to be frank I do think there is a reduced level of debate. Critique is relatively quickly labeled 'rivet counting' or remains without response.
    I actually valued the occasional flare-ups, as it often triggered me to further explore a topic.

So for me, still a great site with much to enjoy, but also more polite and gentle than before...kind of that great bar of years ago that now caters for kids as well. Nice, clean, safe and rather enjoyable, but.... ;-)

Adrian
  17. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Dear friend Derek.If i did have a third hand,i'd know exactly what to do with it.It would bring water to a glass eye:ROFLMAO:
    I would like to take this opperchancety to apologise to anyone with a third hand ,or a glass eye.No offence was meant.Honestly;)
    Huw63, Helm, Graham and 4 others like this.
  18. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
  19. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    I never said I didn't like it (PF)...........:)

Wayne
    pmfs and Nap like this.
  20. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia

Hi Wayne.

Personally, I don't believe ruffling feathers and threads that become abusive make PF any more interesting. In fact they detract from the forum and are a distraction we can all do without. I believe the moderators are fair minded, so people ought not be concerned about expressing an honest view provided it is given courteously, and accepted in the spirit it is given.

For me the enjoyment and interest of PF includes:
    • seeing the work of a large number of amazing painters, which spurs me on to paint;
    • the ready advice that is provided that helps a novice like me improve in many ways;
    • the exchange of ideas and the SBS threads among the more experienced members, which helps everyone;
    • the news of new figures which results in a growing Grey Army;
    • the reviews of products; and
    • the chance to purchase or sell items, including some "Holy Grails" that are OOP, at a good price without the charges incurred by eBay.
    For someone who lives Down Under where the figure hobby community is very small, products are not easily available or known about, figure shows are rare, and distances great PF fills this void, for which I am most grateful.

Added to this is the opportunity of cyber meeting a good many friendly and talented people, as well as meeting some in the flesh as a result of PF, and discussing issues with them. I might add I am not a regular figure painter - too involved in other activities but hopefully that is about to change and I can devote more time to this amazing hobby.

So IMO PF still offers an awful lot of interest to me, and keeps me in touch with the hobby.

Whether we can make it more interesting is up to us. Does anyone have any ideas on how this might be achieved?

I'll throw in some that may help - discussing painting techniques without being too precious about one's own preferences; providing information and opinions on products in new Tools of the Trade/Accessories thread, which is designed to put all such information in one section and making it easier to find, and providing information and opinion on sources in the Uniform Reference section.

Cheers
    Chris