1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hartmann bust - progress

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi,
    I've finally managed to get some significant progress made on my Erich Hartmann bust and wanted to share some pictures with you.
    The coat and skintones both have the initial coats on paint with the wet on wet shadows and highlights applied. The skintones have had the secondary highlights applied but not the shadows. As he is a blond, I'm planning on using Burnt Sienna instead of my usual Brown Madder Alizerin for these as it's less intense. The hair, eyes and teeth are just base coated in Naples Yellow.
    As always, I'd appreciate any constructive criticisms and suggestions you have for me.
    Thanks,
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Close up of the face...

Attached Files:

3. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Great start Craig. Will these coats be dry before adding the additional shadows?

-jim cox
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thats a great start Craig.
    That naples yellow base coat: is that Vallejo acrylicpaint? My naples yellow in oil is alot darker then this;
    I think that the burnt sienna is better for lighter shadows than the Brown Madder. Good choice on that.
    Keep going, i really wanted to see his finish.

Marc
  5. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Jim,
    Thanks. Actually, everything you see in these pictures is dry. The secondary highlights on the face, the Naples Yellow on the hair, eyes and teeth, the black on the brim of the hat and the blue shirt were all painted last night. My drying box got them all dry by this morning (about 8 hours) by the time I took these pictures.

Hi Marc,
    Everything seen here is oil paint. The Naples Yellow is Winsor Newton brand.

Craig.
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Craig, He's off to a great start. I enjoy watching your in progress pics of busts, they seem to be your forte.~Gary
  7. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Gary,
    It's good to hear from you again. I'm glad that you enjoy my progress shots. Posting them here and on ArmoramA has really been a great help to me.
    And as far as busts go, yes I really do prefer painting them over the smaller ones like 54mm and 75mm figures. those are just too small for me to paint with any kind of satisfaction.
    On another note, I'm betting that you're excited with the new PBS series on the French & Indian wars. Have you made it down to the Heinz History Center yet for their F&I display?
    Craig
  8. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Craig, so far so good, looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers
    Roc, :)