1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Harley rider

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Gert-Jan Knol, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Gert-Jan Knol New Member

Netherlands
    Hello everybody,

I want to show something I'm working on at the moment. I'm attempting to make a figure of a MP riding (well not actually riding) a motorbike. When finished it's going to be part of a larger diorama.
    This will be the most extensive figure conversion I've done to date, so any critique, hints or tips are more then welcome.

A start was made with a torso plus a pair of hands and feet from a Dragon figure. A rough pelvis was carved from on old plastic figure from the spare box. The head is from Hornet.
    [IMG]
    The bike is from MiniArt and only its basic shape is constructed.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Do you guys think the pose is alright? Perhaps the legs should be further apart.

greetz,

Gert-Jan

btw how do I add a thumbnail next to the thread-title :eek:

Attached Files:

2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wow, promising conversion and I like it (y)

Select an image you want for the thread-thumbnail and it needs to be uploaded into planetFigure, see here for more details: http://www.planetfigure.com/wiki/Thread_thumbnail
  3. Gert-Jan Knol New Member

Netherlands
  4. Robert Jan de Wit PlanetFigure Supporter

Netherlands
    Hey Gert Jan

Great to see you here.
    It looks great sofar.
    Take it with you to the next meeting in Joure.

greets,
    Robert Jan
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hallo Gert Jan,
    De Nederlanders beginnen eindelijk hun weg naar de figuren te vinden.
    Nu alleen nog minder Camo en we zijn er.

Great conversion on this one. Like what you are doing so far.

Marc
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Gert - Jan:

Nice one! You asked about the pose and leg placement. I think you have the leg placement right and it looks like the stance and partly seated posture is right. Are both arms an equal length? I can't tell from the photos. The near side one is flexed and other straight - and that's, of course, OK. Is the chest turned enough to allow the straight arm to actually hold the other handlebar, if the arms are both the same length?

Hope this is helpful.

Keep going - cos this is gonna be a nice one!

All the best,
    Dan
  7. Elaphus Active Member

Germany
    Fantastic idea,

very very nice, i hope to see more !!!
  8. Gert-Jan Knol New Member

Netherlands
    Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.

@Robert-Jan : I'm not sure I can make it to Joure but this one will definitely be going the Twenot anniversary in Overloon.

@Marc : dank je wel

@Dan : Thanks for taking the time to have a look at the figure. Both the upper and lower arms are both one "head" in length. I hope this will work out.

@Elaphus : Thank you.

The limbs are fleshed out. Hopefully the length of the arms will show up a little beter in these photographs. The legs are almost done now. I'm not really happy with the surface, it's a bit too rough. Any good tips for smoothing out hardened putty, without destroying the detail?
    Next will be sculpting the part of the jacket below the belt.

Gert-Jan

Attached Files:

9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks a promising start Gert-Jan. Who makes the bike please?
    Carl.
  10. Gert-Jan Knol New Member

Netherlands
    Thanks Carl, the bike is from MiniArt, bit of tricky build but very detailed.

Attached Files:

11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    No idea of your experience level, so... To smooth putty, use very fine grade steel wool but be a bit careful because if slightly over-used it can remove fine detail.

All the best,
    Dan
  12. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Love this wee project, the bike and rider look great, as a harley rider I'll watch for sure. Les
  13. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I've just been having a look, it does look a nice kit.
    Thanks a lot Gert-Jan,
    Carl.