1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book Happy Odyssey

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Helm, Oct 14, 2017.

1. Helm A Fixture

England
    As reviewed on an other site

Happy Odyssey
    Author Sir Adrian Carton De Wiart

One of the greatest I guess you would say eccentrics, (although that doesn't sound really right in this case) of all time. I don't mean that in a disparaging way but more in a sense of awe. This is his life as written by him. This is both the best and the worst of this book. On one hand it provides us with his view of himself and his life, on the other it it is infuriatingly lacking in some facts. For instance his wife and two daughters aren't given a single mention in it!
    It covers his amazing military career from the Boer War through to the Second World War a period between the wars as a “Polish gentleman” and the final part set in China as Winston Churchill's personal representative.
    The book itself is shorter than the 287 pages imply as it's in quite large print and sadly has no photos or other illustrations. While I appreciate it is an autobiography I do think that a 2017 reprint should have had an additional preface or end word mentioning his marriages, children and his death at the age of 83 on 5 June 1963. This omission left me feeling a little disappointed and the book in IMO a little incomplete. That said I thoroughly enjoyed it and it is a fascinating read

His medals
    [IMG]
  2. REMOVED PlanetFigure Supporter

Without hijacking the thread..too much...Ron Chernow has a new book out on Grant..really good stuff..one part devoted to his position in military history, the other his presidency. Well worth it...
    anstontyke likes this.
  3. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Now THAT'S a medal collection and almost as impressive as the one sported by that other equally fearless warrior, Prince Charles!

Gary
    Jaybo and anstontyke like this.