1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Happy Colombus Day.

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Roc, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Wishing every one in the States A Happy Columbus Day.

A special thanks to the great countries of Italy and Spain.
    Italy where he was given birth, and Spain that belived and trusted him.

A sailor on board the Pinta sighted land early in the morning of October 12, 1492, and a new era of European exploration and expansion began. The next day, the 90 crew members of Christopher Columbus's three-ship fleet ventured onto the Bahamian island of Guanahaní, ending a voyage begun nearly ten weeks earlier in Palos, Spain.

Cheers
    Roc

Attached Files:

2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    I didn't know it was a day of celebration in the US.
    Anyway: Happy Columbus day

Marc
  3. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    No doubt the event will be looked at askance by certain elements, but three cheers for 'ol Chris. If nothing else (and there is a LOT else), the dude had huevos like cantaloupes.--
  4. neill Active Member

United-States
    Happy Columbus Day to all!

As a History Teacher I find peoples PC attitudes on why we should not celebrate Columbus Day interesting (which I am using as a "thinking prompt" today in my World history Classes). I wonder if those PC people use the same standards they use to judge Columbus on there on "heroes".

Historically I find CC to be a man who accomplishing many things.... not perfect but no more or no less guilty of being "human" than any other. For one I celebrate his mistaken finding of the Continent we call the Americas. The world's history and my own Countries History would have been very different with out his ventures.

Happy Columbus Day to all!

Neill
  5. Stefano Borin New Member

United-States
    The same with Megrot!
    Have a happy Columbus day

ciao da Stefano

Hei!! Roc what a beautiful print your one to intesting the Galeons on!!!
    I do classic ship model as Hobby too.
    Do you have it more largest?
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Stefano, unfortunately I don't have any thing larger, but if I should come across a print that I think you would like, I'll gladly e-mail you a copy.

Cheers
    Roc
  7. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Happy Columbos day to you all!

But when is it the Leif Eriksson day? ;)

Cheers
  8. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Happy Viking day oops.... columbus day !!!
  9. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Happy Columbus Day for the US and Spanishness Day in Spain.
    The day of the Discovery of America is the Virgin of the Pillar day and is the national fest in Spain.
    By the way, the first man who sighted land was Rodrigo de Triana.
    Columbus was really a controversial man who tried to hide his origins and maybe he wasn´t even genoese. He is a figure surrounded by mistery.
  10. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    I think America was discoverd by a Belgian, but we don't tell anyone
  11. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Come on!
    Don´t be shy, tell us! :D

Some images of the last year parade in Madrid

Attached Files:

12. Mark S Guest

I hope all those celebrating Columbus Day enjoy it.
    Something has occurred to me while following this thread though,
    I can't recall any good Columbus figures.Are there any good ones out there?

All the best,stiff.
  13. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    no, but there 're some very fine BELGIAN figures. :D
  14. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    I know theres at least one figure out. But cant remember if it is F.M Benito or El Viejo Dragon?

I can get back when I get home from work.

Cheers
  15. Pepo New Member

Hi Stefano, Hi everyone,

Happy Columbus day to you all!!

I really feel that it is a day to celebrate for us all, no mather were you are from or were you live. This day of 1942, for the best or the worst, the two shores of the Atlantic were liked and have been interacting since then. It was an inflection point in human History.

As a spaniard, I feel proud of that, as I believe that such a challenge (navigating into the unknown) has never been undertaken until humankind tried to land on the Moon.

If you are in Spain, or can come down here, do not miss the military parade on this day, I am sure that every planeteer will love it.

Regards
    pepoirlanda

Stefano,

Please, check out the Spanish Naval Museum Website
    http://www.museonavalmadrid.com/index.asp

At Museo/Visita Virtual, you can visit almost all the rooms and displays (move your mouse around)
    http://www.museonavalmadrid.com/museo/visita_virtual.asp?sec_menu=vacio

And at Museo/Visita Virtual/Ver Contenido (in each room)
    you can see detailed pictures and comments regarding almost all items in display. Most Ship models are "real" models built for testing before the REAL one was finally carried out.

Enjoy it!
  16. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Hello.
    I remember at least one from Beneito.
  17. Guayo New Member

Hi everyone, here in Nicaragua this day is call Dia de la Raza ("day of the race"), and for some Nicaraguans this is a controversial day, when I was a kid it was call the Hispanic Day (Fiesta Nacional de España or Día de la Hispanidad), now they want to change it to Día de la Resistencia Indígena (Day of Indigenous Resistance),at least for me I’m proud of my indigenous-Spanish-African descendant and this is the best part of the conquista the Mestizaje(Miscegenation), two beautiful cultures mix to make one.

So to everyone Feliz dia de la Raza, Happy Hispanic Day, Columbus day, Discovery Day, Day of the cultures, Native American Day, Día de las Américas etc etc etc.........:)
  18. Stefano Borin New Member

United-States
    Pope it's too interesting
    Thankyou very much my friend

Ciao da Stefano
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    If i remember my history well, i think we "the Netherlands" can say that we discovered the most off the world :rolleyes:
    To name some: Spitsbergen, Around Cape of Good Hope into Indonesie, first boat trip around the world, Australie, New Amsterdam (eastcoast of the USA), Tasmanie, New Zealand, Tonga, Easter Island/Isla de Pascua. Then they made alot of maps from the coastline's around the world.
    All in all, we are still the nation with sealeggs :p:)

Now serious: Happy day....

Marc