1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Hans Goerth, Marine Feld Jasta 1 - DML 1/12th bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by roadking, Apr 12, 2012.

1. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Work in progress shots of a new addition to my little collection of Imperial German subjects. This bust is one of the series that Mike Good sculpted for DML back in the day and included in 1/48th scale kits of WWI subjects. The portrait comes from a famous photograph of Hans standing in front of a Fokker D.VIII/E.V. Interestingly the recorded kills of this pilot (7) were all made in either an Albatros D.Va or Fokker D.VII but the photo is so good and the uniform so interesting that it was a perfect inclusion for the D.VIII kit at the time.
    As always, I paint exclusively with oils over a white automotive primer base (no colored basecoating for me). My usual mixture of Burnt Sienna, Medium/Deep Cadmium Yellow and Medium Cadmium Red was used for the base and blended wet-on-wet with tiny touches of Chrome Green Deep and Indigo for cool shadows, Titanium White and Medium Cadmium Yellow for highlights. This achieves the mid-range highlights and shadows. Once dry, thin glazes of Brown Madder, Alizarin Crimson and the White/Yellow mix were used to develop the deeper shadows and brighter highlights. The eyes are Indigo, Indigo lightened with white, Black pupils and white catchlight, in that order.

Jim

DML-Goerth-03.jpg DML-Goerth-04.jpg DML-Goerth-05.jpg DML-Goerth-06.jpg
    crf, Mike Stevens, Steve and 6 others like this.
  2. lupanzer Active Member

Brazil
    ...very realistic face painting job!

Best!

Luiz.
  3. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Jim good to see another Oil user !

Great start on the flesh.

Interesting you do not base cote each colour and paint straight over white... I tried it after reading an article in Historical Miniatures years ago,did you write the article ?! With most oils being semi
    Transparent how do you build up solid colours and when blending what stops you goin through to the white ? They were the problems I had when I tried it.

You have mastered it though !

Lovely bust by Mike,do like these WWI pilots ...

Thanks

Carl
  4. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Nice face Jim! (y)
  5. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  6. hmgroth New Member

United-States
    Very realistic job on the face, Jim! I'm about to tackle my first bust in quite some time and it's great to see someone still using oils :)

Mark
  7. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Thank you everybody for your kind comments, especially you Mike, as it is your beautiful sculpting that I am daubing paint all over!

Carl, I have painted this way for years and have simply decided it is the only way I know how to paint. I use the white as a tool to brighten my colors and over the years I have selected my paints for their opacity when needed, or transparency when needed. Talens Van Gogh and Liquitex series were always more opaque and W&N typically transparent. With the loss of the the first two I have had to be more selective as my tubes slowly get used up. I do not thin my initial colors and occasionally am required to lay on a second coat but normally that can be avoided simply by choice of brand. All I can offer as advice is "experimentation".

Jim
  8. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Amazing eyes. Good work! :)
  9. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Here is a bit of a progress report on this bust. I have been working on the jacket, shirt and tie. The subtleties of the uniform could turn out monochromatic if not careful. I used a mix of Titamium White and Raw Umber for the shirt with successive glazes of thinned white to build the highlights. The jacket is Lamp Black, Titanium White and Van Dyke Brown mixed in for warmth. A certain amount of wet-on-wet blending was used to begin building highlights and once dry glazing with white brought out the stronger highlighting. I am trying to use more and more of the techniques seen by acrylic painters as the final touches on my oil work. This is giving me crisper final highlights than I used to achieve. Now on to finalizing the details.

Jim

DML-Goerth-08.jpg DML-Goerth-09.jpg DML-Goerth-11.jpg DML-Goerth-12.jpg DML-Goerth-07.jpg
    pmfs likes this.
  10. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Lovely advance Jim.
    I paint with all mediums available, but the oils are my passion, and I continue thinking that is the best for realistic approach to human flesh, the worst thing is the drying time...:mad:
    Following!

Pedro.
  11. Ferris A Fixture

Very nice paintwork Jim. You clearly have those oils under control!
    I used to use a white basecoat under oils, but always had either coverage or roughness issues. I used W&N, maybe that was it...?

Cheers,
    Adrian
  12. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Fantastic i like it very mich.

Cheers

Hendryk
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great work Jim.

marc
  14. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Finally completed and quite an enjoyable experience painting this little beauty. Enjoy.

Jim

DML-Goerth-13.jpg DML-Goerth-14.jpg DML-Goerth-15.jpg DML-Goerth-16.jpg DML-Goerth-17.jpg DML-Goerth-18.jpg DML-Goerth-19.jpg
    Mike Stevens and Edorta like this.
  15. chris1 Active Member

Jim
    I like heaps,I've just have to do the shoulder boards for the DML Richithofen and will post.

Chris
  16. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Dear Jim, fabulous work and the nameplate is simply amazing.(y)

Pedro.
  17. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Jim,congratulations on a wonderful job,i too paint in oils and i like the way you have explained your mixes and applications,i like it very much especially the jacket (y)

Brian
  18. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Lovely finish Jim.
    Carl.(y)
  19. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautiful work jim, the face is pure quality and love the finishing touch on the plate.

Dave
  20. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Excellent paint job Jim(y)

John.