1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Hans Goerth - Bust DML

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Filipe, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Friends from pF

Another bust of mine, just finished today. Coincidence, is the same bust Roadking is painting in this thread here (i wish that my painting was good as his (y) ).

The bust represents pilot Hans Goerth, of the Kaiserliche Marine, the german navy of WW1. The bust is in resin, scale 1/12, sculpted by Mike Good, and is part of a series that comes in a special edition of Dragon Models 1/48 airplane kits.

It is a great sculpture, very nice details, specially the badge, which i chose to the plate. The only complain is the almost lack of sculpted hair, so, i had to improvise.

The bust was all painted in acrylics. The Iron Cross pedestal is from UP Miniaturen, of my friend Ulrich Puchala, and i believe that is a nice touch in "german theme" busts.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

A close-up at the face, to "put myself on the line". ;)

[IMG]

Comments, critics and suggestions are welcome.

Filipe from Brazil

:)
    Kisifer likes this.
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice paintwork Filipe.
    I don't paint with acrylic, but what i see is that you don't thin the paint enough.
    The shades are very hard and has no smooth transitions.
    You can arange this trough painting again with the basic skintone up the shades. But thin and several times.
    I hope somebody from the acrylicboys explain it again and better:unsure:
  3. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Megroot

Thank you for your comment.

I see your paint and i fully agree. It is a thing i have been working on for quite some time, but sometimes i get impatient.

It would be possible to make this bust better or should i wait for the next one?

You or any of the "acrylicboys" are free to answer. :)

Thank you for your constructive critic.

Best regards

Filipe from Brazil

4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Filipe don't get impatient. It's a hobby to calm down from the bussy days.
    When i start painting I finished a figure in 2-3 weeks. At the moment it takes me almost 2 months. And the hours of painting are still the same in the evening. When you slowing down the quality of your painting is rising equaal.

Marc
  5. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Thank you Marc. I will try to thin better the paint and improve this bust today.

Any more critics, comments and suggestions are welcome.
  6. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Gostei bastante das cores do uniforme.
    Abraço
  7. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Thank you Pedro.

What about the face? Any toughts?

8. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    The face is nice but you have to follow Marc´s words.(y)
    Try to thin the paint (milk consistency) a little more when you add the highlights and remove the paint excess fom the brush. The drying time between paint is very important dont forget.
    I cant tell you more because I´m also learning.
    I like what you done my friend, your courage painting a large bust with acrylics is fantastic, I dont have the guts for it.:(

Pedro
  9. Filipe Well-Known Member

Brazil
    Pedro

Thank you for your words and encouragement. I will make some adjustments on the weekend and will post it here.

All the best my friend

Filipe