1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hand to Hand Combat..#4/5 Civil War dio

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, May 27, 2009.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are the # 4 and 5. I wanted to show a hand to hand mini scene in the dio. This will be taking place amongst all the chaos. Both of the figures canteens are just blue tacked on. I will sculpt the Union figures hands once I get the top portion of him painted. I am planning to start painting next week and will paint for a week and then sculpt a week now that I have a little stock pile going plus I have a few other commitments to finish up as well.

Thanks for looking,

Joe

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Hi Joe!
    I see the scene is coming together bit by bit. Shouldnt the reb have his right hand closed to a fist ready to strike?

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  3. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work Joe, coming along nicely.

Steve
  4. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Janne,

Thanks. It is slowly but surely! He does, here are a few other pictures.
    Joe

[IMG]

[IMG]
  5. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Steve,

Thanks.

Joe
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, I think this is your best work. The Confederate is really nice, great look. Though the blanket roll looks a bit big, soldiers had a number of ways to roll their blankets. Keeping the equipment fairly high on the body and doing the same with the blanket makes for a more comfortable soldier. Believe me gear hanging low flopping all over the place is really uncomfortable. Here are some photos showing blanket rolls. Soldiers would typically twist their blanket rolls that would help keep their belongings inside them. Another thing to keep in mind is put the canteen on the soldier last. You'll notice the canteen sling over top of a lot of the blanket rolls. The reason being is if you put your canteen on first you're going to greatly restrict your ability to take a drink of water if the sling is buried by equipment over top of it. ~Gary

Attached Files:

7. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Joe,
    This looks really nice and should be a nice subscene.
    Cheers
    John
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are a few more. ~Gary

Attached Files:

9. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey John,

Thanks for the kind words.

Hey Gary,

Thanks, I am hoping that each new one gets a little better than the last ones. Many thanks for the pictures! It will really help me on the next ones. I would like to redo this one but I think it would be more work and I might just ditch, I know me but I will have several more and i will make sure to use these ref pic's.
  10. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Ahh, didnt see it first. Looked abit like a Cobra Kai blow before you supplied the other pictures.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  11. Radek Active Member

Poland
    Hi Joe

Nice one. I like the poses. They remind me of Bill Horan's fight for the flag vignette.

Radek
  12. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Joe, looks good.

Gary's input is very good; feedback like that, helped with photos, is the kind of standard I aspire to with feedback.

How much more 'energy' would the fight scene have if the Rebel's right hand clenched a knife or bayonet of some kind?

Just a thought.

Good sculpting overall, like how you share as you go, allowing for feedback. Good practice, in my opinion.

May have to do a caricature of some of these, inspired by this kind of sculpting!

Cheers
  13. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Really nice Joe. Should be quite the piece when completed.
    John
  14. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hello, Joe.
    A wonderful sculpture!
    A movement is dynamic.
    I liked it very much.

Mitsutaka
  15. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Its coming all together to some amazing work of art Joe.
    I like what you have done so far.

Marc
  16. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Joe, great sculpting, really looking forward to seeing all the figures together, will the next figure be carrying a flag.?
    Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Ken
  17. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Excellent stuff buddy, its all coming together nicely now since I saw the initial shots!!

Ray ;)
  18. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Radex,

Thanks for the very nice words. I can say that I am always inspired by the works of Bill and keep trying.

Jamie,

Thanks. It is always so important to get feedback, especially like how Gary and others point out. This is the only way that I know how to get better. After you sit and just look at it for so long it all becomes a blur to me, so having all these extra eyes is a BIG plus.

I had thought of a knife but was not to sure if I would then need to have a scabbard and such. Maybe I can add one on another figure of vignette in the future.

John,

Thanks and I hope that it will be worth the effort.

Mitsutaka ,

Thanks and I look forward to seeing your next work.

Hey Marc,

Thanks and I appreciate all your previous input as well.

Hey Ken,

Where do you live? I am asking because I thought you might be looking at my workbench! lol I do have one that will be coming.

Ray,

Buddy,

How are you? Thanks for looking and I will have to send you some other shots soon.

Joe
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Joe, If he's fighting at or near a stone wall you could put a rock in his hand. That would be a bit different, although a closed fist works fine. ~Gary
  20. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Thats a good idea, but it could also be a stone from the ground as they are usually smaller thus fitting in the hand better. Also there could be the mark where it had been as part of the groundwork.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson