1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hand Gonner Earl of Oxfords Retinue Bosworth 1485

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by kilsh, Nov 2, 2020.

1. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    This is the Hand Bombardier kit from IL miniatures in the livery of the Earl of Oxford at Bosworth in 1485. It is an excellent kit with super fine castings, there is a choice of 2 salets this and a closed one. Both are almost see through they are so thinly cast. I have a plan hatching for the closed one I haven’t used.

All in acrylics, with base from Richard Wharton at Oakwood and plate from name it!

By this time in the Middle Ages hand guns were fairly well established but a mix of designs was evident. It was still seen as a prestigious weapon, though it’s effectiveness was questionable. Prestigious or not it was a dirty and dangerous weapon to use, with burns and blindings not uncommon. There are historical accounts of how the Gonners appeared covered in soot and black powder. Many were of continental origin or even mercenary’s. I see our man here coming from Southern Europe and finding himself in the ranks of Oxford during the various battles culminating at Bosworth.

Cheers

Neil D13F6486-8D03-4C4A-92E4-41B4AB6B584A.jpeg 0210DB9E-E1E5-4766-A427-27A493A41F5B.jpeg 0FB69D2D-FB29-4EF9-AEFF-01267983D3D3.jpeg EDF1219A-DA91-4605-8C8F-155ED7C6606F.jpeg B2D69C94-C488-4931-8DC2-9C17E8E870AF.jpeg 462F0927-9159-461D-85CE-7967BC3A6618.jpeg
    gothicgeek, Tommy Atkins, Nap and 8 others like this.
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Love the face Neil (Top figure all round in fact) (y)

I'm assuming that 'Hand Gonner' isn't a typo, but I've not come across the spelling before?
    Cheers
    Paul
    kilsh and Oda like this.
  3. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    This really looks the part. Heraldic band around helmet looks properly hand painted (y)
    kilsh and Oda like this.
  4. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks both

You are right Paul it’s the way they spelled gun or gunner in the good old days

its a tricky one Del on the hand painting of the heraldic charge, the Existing examples are really crude in appearance, I think replicating them exactly would look dreadful so this is a bit neater than it probably would have been but hopefully believable AFD6A544-37B8-4628-84CB-063CD6910DE5.jpeg

Cheers

Neil

AFD6A544-37B8-4628-84CB-063CD6910DE5.jpeg 22C0B0F5-B180-42E4-A141-FECDBD8E1AC4.jpeg
    Nap, Oda and DaddyO like this.
  5. Airkid A Fixture

England
    Excellent work Neil. As Del said, the heraldry looks suitably hand painted and I think that makes it.

I had the chance to shoot a reproduction "Handgonne" a couple of years ago. I've been a black powder shooter for many years but it frightened the pants off me I tell you!:nailbiting:

Phil
    kilsh and DaddyO like this.
  6. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Phil

I bet that was a great experience I would love to fire one!
    Oda and Airkid like this.
  7. Airkid A Fixture

England
    It was actually very good - back to the very beginnings of firearms technology - a mini cannon on a stick! I needed a shower and a stiff drink afterwards.:D

Phil
    kilsh and Oda like this.
  8. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

wonderful paintwork

Mobo
    kilsh likes this.
  9. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Cheers

Neil
    You're right, there is a scale factor to consider.
    I remember Pete Armstrong of Border Miniatures who was reknowned for meticulous research specifically produced heraldry on hs figures to fit the space that was stylised and representative rather than anatomically correct.
    kilsh likes this.
  10. JABERWOCKY Active Member

nicely done!!
    kilsh likes this.
  11. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great painting and very realistic face etc, I am not a fan of big pictures I prefer to view figures closer to what the eye can see, I shudder when I look at my own as you can see all the blending strokes and wee bits of dust etc, however as others have said a top job.
    TERRY
    kilsh and DEL like this.
  12. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Lovely work Neil, the muted colours work superbly and the face is spot on.

Keith
    kilsh likes this.
  13. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Brilliant overall, but the face is amazing.
    kilsh likes this.
  14. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks all!
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Neil

Catching up on things a bit .....it's all been said in the above but the armour effects are great , the helmet design in particular

Really nice to see this painted like this

Why not enter something into FOTM as well

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    kilsh likes this.
  16. kilsh Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Cheers Kev!
    Nap likes this.