1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Han Solo

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by JCOX, Dec 4, 2004.

1. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Hey All,

It's been a while since I posted, so here's my latest attempt. I'm sculpting the face of Han Solo on a 1/6 vinyl stormtrooper kit. Not much but here it is...

-jim cox
    [IMG][IMG]
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jim, Nice job. Here is a picture of a 1/4 Han Solo head sculpted by Andy Bergholtz for Sideshow Toys. It's fantastic. He also did a Luke Skywalker head that's just as nice.~Gary
  3. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Ah Jeesh Gary, why'd ya have to go an do that - now I'm depressed! ;)

That's a really wonderful sculpt by Mr. Bergholtz. He does great work. I'm a big fan of the Sideshow line. I think they're some of the best out there - wish they'd come unpainted. Where'd you get that pic - I'd love to see more!

Joe Hudson called me today and told me your 'One of Their Own' sculpts made it to his house today. He said it looks much better in person than any picture can do it justice. Can't wait to see it live in Atlanta next year. Love your work and thanks for sharing it here with us!

-jim cox
  4. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jim,

Glad to see you posting. I look forward to seeing more of it. Now you have a great picture to help guide you.

Joe
  5. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Jim-

This is just great! Can't wait to see more (and painted up, too!)

Keith
  6. Alex Lopez Well-Known Member

Mexico
    Exelent likeness Jim!! Yo can make Blade Runner version too (it`s only an idea)

Regards.

Alex.
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
  8. fsdesimone Member

Yeah, Andy does amazing work (check out the GI Joe section of the link Gary provided). He's also really nice and posts great tutorials. Unfortunately, I think he's been quite busy and hasn't done any lately.

Jim: keep at it, you've got the basics there. BTW, what happened to the other pieces you were working on (Johnny Bench, etc)? Did you finish them?
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Jim, good work, hope to see more of your postings.

keep up the good work.

cheers

Roc
  10. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the vote of confidence and kind words and thanks for the site Gary - very nice stuff there. Looking at what all you sculptors here and on other sites are capable of is very humbling indeed! I look at posting my work here akin to my kids drawings on our refrigerator - loved by mom and dad, but not quite ready for the gallery.

Francesca, I've completed Jonny Bench and other projects (sculpting - not painted yet). My wife accidently broke Jonny Bench - decapitated him. I'll fix him up soon. Hope to have him painted for Atlanta.

BTW, I've reworked Han quite a bit but I'm not satisfied with the hair yet. Post some more pics soon.

-jim cox
  11. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    I've re-worked Han quite a bit. Hope it looks a little better...

-jim cox

[IMG][IMG]
  12. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Jim, I think you've got a terrific likeness going. I'm impressed with how you've progressed over the past year and a half. Keep up the good work
  13. fsdesimone Member

That definitely looks better Jim. I'd have recognized him now even without knowing explicitly who it was. I second John - you've really improved a lot over the past year (although I still love your Charles Bronson bust!).

Can't wait to see them... in fact, post a picture when you repair him.
  14. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the encouragement John and Franscesca. Doing a portrait is tough, but I love the challenge and experience it gives.

John - I heard that you'll be giving a demonstation on ground work in Atlanta this year? If it's true - count me in!

Franscesca, I'll repair JB soon and post a pic. Got to get him done...

-jim cox
  15. Manfred Active Member

Reworked Han looks much better !
    Maybe the nose could need a little more volume but don't count on my comment.
    I won't touch likenesses anytime soon ;)
  16. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Jim,

I really think the reworked version looks much better. I look forward to seeing more of it.

Joe
  17. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Getting closer to completion. Here's the whole pose....

-jim cox

[IMG][IMG]
  18. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Inside the helmet details. (All authentic of course!).

-jim cox

[IMG][IMG]
  19. fsdesimone Member

Is it possible to angle the helmet more so you can actually see those internal details? Maybe so it's tilted more under his arm and that open part faces the back or something? Seems like a waste to not have that easily viewable.

(I'm assuming you're not trying to copy a specfic scene in the movie exactly)
  20. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    I may be able to angle it back some, but the position of the hand holding the helmet is set. The inside details where just a fun little project in itself so the helmet didn't look so empty. Maybe a mirror for the floor? (Anyone know a safe way to drill holes in a mirror?)

-jim cox