1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hal Moore Bust

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Shark, Jun 15, 2019.

1. Shark PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    A couple of fellas have expressed an interest in the new Hal Moore bust from Dolman miniatures so here's a short review. After studying the photo the bust was based on I can say it's very good likeness. The bust is available in two sizes 1/10th scale and 1/12th scale. I opted for the slightly smaller 1/12th. As you'll see from images there's only a few parts so minimal prep time, no more than hour or so before your ready to prime the bust. There's a small amount of flashing and a plug to remove but nothing proving too much work. The helmet, cigar and flashlight is cast in white metal everything else in resin, all very nicely sculpted. I've attached the head and will leave the helmet off until the rest is painted, its just posed in place for the image. Once the head is on there's a small amount of filler needed between the neck and t shirt joint but that's all. Overall very pleased and will be an enjoyable subject to work on. For those not familiar with the background, Hal Moore commanded the 7th Cavalry at the battle of Ia Drang in Vietnam, the first major engagement between the US Army and the NVA. (Depicted in the film We were Soldiers starring Mel Gibson). I would say if your considering purchasing the bust don't think too hard just get it. It's a very nice bust and will be a pleasure to work on.

hl4.jpg hl2.jpg hl3.jpg
    arkangelo, Nap, Mike S. and 1 other person like this.
  2. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Hiya, Shark -
    I heartily concur with your views stated above. Having older eyes to cope with, I opted for the larger scale version which comes with the helmet also in resin. Pour plugs were no problem for a motor tool and bit of sanding stick, etc. So glad the Dolman folks depicted Hal Moore rather than Gibson's movie portrayal.

Thanks for posting.

Ned
    Nap and Shark like this.
  3. John strachan Well-Known Member

Looks a belter Mark!
    Shark likes this.
  4. Shark PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Ned - strange the helmets in resin yet metal for the slightly smaller bust. How did your bust turn out?

You look much different with your shades on John!! ;)
    Nap likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Mark

Thanks for sharing this look at a Dolman release

The resin and white metal is something that seems to be in all releases (,the Worcester Yeomanry bust has a w/m plume and hand , the rest resin )

As for Hal ..looks a fine sculpt ( using 3D ) and a very good likeness

Hope we see your painted version here

Nap
  6. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Hi, Shark
    Some progress, but not completed as yet. Bust has been cleaned and primed. Sculpting and casting are first rate.
    Grabbing some summer while it is here and bench time is diminished at the moment.
    Will post some photos when painting starts.

Thanks for asking.
    N
  7. Kevindunne Active Member

United-States
    The bust depicts Moore after the Ia Drang when he was promoted to full Colonel and took command of the 3d Brigade, Ist Cav Division.
  8. arkangelo Active Member

Thank you for reviewing greetings

Ark
  9. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Hobby guy painting. Cell phone pictures. COL Hal Moore 1965 05.jpg COL Hal Moore 1965 01.jpg