1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Hair

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Carl Edward Sambrook, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Carl Edward Sambrook Active Member

I'm currently painting the Nuts Plant Von Stauffenberg and I've hit a problem :O how do I paint dark hair and also highlight it. Thank you. By the way the figure nearly paints it's self, less hair of course.
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Id probably go for a mid brown basecoat with dark brown and black washes in that order!

Just a suggestion!

Steve(y)
    peedee and theBaron like this.
  3. Carl Edward Sambrook Active Member

Thank you Steve I'll give it a go.
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    peedee and theBaron like this.
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I did the same thing, painting a redhead. I applied the lightest color, which was my base color, first, then used darker washes to fill in the relief. The lighter color remained as highlights. I'm nowhere near as skilled as everyone else here, but I can see that with practice, learning to adjust the colors, it can really work well.

Prost!
    Brad
    peedee likes this.
  6. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    For acrylics, I would be more likely to go with a very dark brown/black base coat, wash it with very dark ink (maybe dark green and sepia), to ensure the lowest points are darkest, and then highlight sparingly with some flesh mixed into the base colour. I think Cruise has very dark hair, like CvS did.

Colin
    peedee likes this.
  7. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    An old fashioned way can look good if his hair was "brylcreemed" or "billiantined" as a lot of men did from ww1 to the 1960's.
    Begin by painting any hair level or below the ears in dark browns however you like.
    Then paint the rest of the hair blue !
    Add successive washes of black and allow to dry.
    Your black now looks blacker in the recesses.
    Then highlight with black and a touch of ochre.
    This is how I paint black horses and I'm happy with the technique.
    A touch of satin varnish overall makes the thicker hair above the level of the ears
    Then gives the sleek "Brylreem" llook as in period photos.
    Paul
    theBaron likes this.